Fairly new EMTB / Volunteer Company

JeeperWoman

Forum Ride Along
Hello Everyone,

I'm fairly new to this, certified 08/09, released to ride as primary 10/09 so only been at it a few months. I'm pretty sure the answer to my question is going to be....ride more, ride more, ride more but here's my question anyway.

I ride for this company as a volunteer on my days off. We may get 1 call in a 12 hour period or if we're busy 3 or 4. Most times lately its been 0 calls. Since this is a small town and apparently people are relatively healthy, how do I get past the anxiety of being a newbie so I can do my job effectively? I suppose I could go hang out at the station during the day and go on more calls that way but then I'd be REALLY nervous since it's the boss and the 2nd in command during the day and I'd be riding with one of them....

I know my stuff inside and out but when I get on a call, I am SO FREAKING NERVOUS that it all goes out the window....and then I end up doing stupid stuff.

Nothing major (thank god) but things like wrong placement of cardiac leads, leaving garage door open at 0400, turning on the sirens (accidentally/also so not needed) at 0130 (of course in the middle of this nice, quiet neighborhood) and getting so flustered I can't turn them back off.

While I do provide a never-ending source of amusement for my partner, I get the feeling thats ALL I'm good for.....How do I get rid of the "NERVES"?

I've freaked myself out enough that I'm second guessing myself all the time... I gave up my call this coming weekend because I don't want to be the "punch-line" of the stories at the station anymore.

Please HELP!

lakerzfan36

Forum Probie
I feel your pain brother

I am the same way, but it honest\ly comes with time. I can honestly say I am more confident now, after ~240 work hours later, you get hang of what needs to be done (grab the O2 tank and hook em up to NRM, etc..) just practice practice practice when it comes to stuff like lead placements, etc...

It will come with time just dont give up, dont listen to anybody tht says they didnt go thru it, because they did, everyone goes thru the jitters in the beginning, its natural