Failed nremt twice!!! Need advice

Keeley

Forum Ride Along
hi everyone,
So I unfortunately have now failed my Nremt twice now:( I want to become an emt more than anything but my test taking skills are getting in the way. I passed my practicals because I am much more of a hands on person. However I’m so close and just need more study tips to finally pass. Is it true jb learning has a great thing for practice exams? Also if there any suggestions for books that help to give information without all the extra “fluff” and get right to the point? Anything helps thanks guys!

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
Keeley, you mentioned your "test taking skills are getting in the way." What do you think are your biggest problems with written tests?

OP
OP
K

Keeley

Forum Ride Along
Thank you so much for your response. For me I believe I struggle the most with trying to decide which answer is the most correct. For example a question I remember getting had something to do with tramua and the patient bleeding. There were two that stood out to me the most direct pressure to the bleed or access airway. I get all muttled up with these because either would work. I am just not great with choosing the best scenario question and I’m struggling. I know my material pretty well such as anatomy and so on but like I said the question itself always confuses me.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
Your last sentence (the question always confuses you) makes me think you'd benefit by practicing more with multiple choice questions. Some people get panicky when they start reading questions, before they even get to the answers. They start thinking it's too hard, or they're not sure what's being asked. If you can get your hands on a book of sample questions, try answering a few dozen without any time pressure, just getting used to the language and the process. Then gradually add stressors like time limits, crowds, music -- anything that forces you to concentrate despite distractions. See if that helps. Your goal is to learn to focus on questions all the way through while acquiring confidence about understanding them and finding the best answers.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
[QUOTE="Keeley, post: 671873, member: 33289For example a question I remember getting had something to do with tramua and the patient bleeding. There were two that stood out to me the most direct pressure to the bleed or access airway. I get all muttled up with these because either would work.[/QUOTE]while either would work, which is a better answer?

how about this: a person who is bleeding will likely die in 1-2 minutes, provided direct pressure isn't applied. if a person doesn't have a patent airway, they are likely to die in..... how long can you hold your breath for? 30 seconds? 45 on a really good day? So which do you think you should you do first, and which is your priority?

I took the NREMT 4 years ago, so it might have changed a bit, but the basic idea is scene safety, BSI, ABCs, full assessment, in that order. You would be suprised how many answers were "open the airway", once the scene is safe.

Yes, there are some confusing questions, some stupid questions, and some questions that have no real bearing to the EMS world, other than it was mentioned in some textbook, but it's one of those things that you need to pass, just like every other EMT before you. It is passable, just remember to pick the best answer based on what the question is asking.

TheEleventhHour

Forum Crew Member
Something that helps some people is reading the question, & without looking at the answers, decide what you would do based on your EMT knowledge. Then look at the answers & choose the one closest to it. Some people are the opposite where they will look at the answers first without reading the question. 2 answers may sound a little out of sync with the other 2 so those can be eliminated immediately. Then read the question & choose the best of the 2 remaining.

Knowing the order of assessment REALLY helps. Answer C may be right but B is what you would do FIRST...