Experience

truetiger

Forum Asst. Chief
I received my B license in June, and have applied at a handful of places, with one interview. The place I interviewed at is a paid ambulance service that runs transfers and runs ALS for some municipalities. The kind of place that most people get their first ems gig at....

I did very well on the entrance test, was one of the first done, and received my interview that day. I received a letter a few weeks later stating that they were looking for more experience.

I am at the top of my medic class, was as the top of my EMT class, and passed the practical and CBT first time out. My question is this, when asked about experience, how do I answer this without simply answering "none"?

Kevin1990

Forum Probie
There mainly looking at have you had any exp. on the car. They want to make sure you've used the stecher, using the back boards, c-collered etc. do u run on a fire dept as a volunteer? if you do you can say i have ran with ________________ fire dept since june and list what u do there.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
truetiger

truetiger

Forum Asst. Chief
Nope, I moved home in January to take my EMT, took pre medic classes all summer and am now in medic, haven't had time to get my fire 1&2 so I can volunteer.

Kevin1990

Forum Probie
unfortunatly some companies wont hire unless they have 6+ months exp. some companies do. I got lucky and got hired into a company that had only part time positions available and worked my way from there. All depends on the company

mcdonl

Forum Captain
Nope, I moved home in January to take my EMT, took pre medic classes all summer and am now in medic, haven't had time to get my fire 1&2 so I can volunteer.

Is that written in stone, that you need your FF1 and FF2 to volly? There may be opportunities to assist on rescue. You are bright, and probably are stating known facts, but it may be worth asking the department EMS captain or Fire Chief if you could volly on the rescue units.

OP
OP
truetiger

truetiger

Forum Asst. Chief
Around here the departments are either 100% paid or mostly paid with volunteers, unfortunately to volunteer, you must have FF 1&2. The reason they require it is because they can, why train somebody when you've got more than enough people with FF 1&2 that want to volunteer?