Exercise Regimen

BillyNightNurse

Forum Ride Along
Cardio No Good

I agree with the cardio comment. Cardio is for your heart not your muscles. If you can't make to the gym squats, sit ups and push ups are the way to go. Cardio sure won't hurt you but muscle is what you want.

EMT1A

Forum Crew Member
working out your back/shoulders and wrists helps definitely

that plus the right technique should be fine

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Burpees and push ups and walking lunges.

PVC

Forum Crew Member
Dead lifts are possibly the best all around strength builder.
Maintain proper posture and lift away!

Doczilla

Forum Captain
Speaking of deadlifts, part two of my five part session was this today:

30/20/10 reps back to back:

Deadlift @ 185
Push press @ 115

Yeah, some dudes laugh at that weight, but ask them to crank out all of those reps of both excersises in a continuous circuit until complete.

Ouch.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief

Deadlift @ 185
Push press @ 115

Yeah, some dudes laugh at that weight, but ask them to crank out all of those reps of both excersises in a continuous circuit until complete.

Ouch.

You push pressed 115x30? God damn doc... That is freaking tiring.

30 deadlifts at 185 is no joke either... Really exhausting.

Last edited by a moderator:

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
Who says you cant do strength and cardio at the same time? Lol

I am lazyyyyyy.

I usually hit the stair master for 10 minutes as cardio.

eprex

Forum Lieutenant
Forget crossfit and save your money. Seriously, it's a big waste of time unless for some reason that's the only way you'll stay motivated. Crossfit is hated in the lifting world for a reason. Squats/deadlifts/push press are going to be the three lifts that turn you from weak to relatively strong.

Get a gym membership and a friend who knows what they're doing. Starting strength is a great way to start and it's easy to do. I'd remove the cleans unless you have a gym that you can drop weight and you're dedicated to mastering your form.

You're going to need to eat more but the good news is you can start at about 2k-2.5k calories a day (you aren't eating that daily right now) and bump it up with time. If you start eating 4k calories a day from the getgo you're going to gain weight too fast like I did.

Make sure to stretch especially after the gym and before bed. Make sure you focus on your hips and hamstrings. This will help you increase depth on squat. I don't care if you start off squatting and deadlifting the bar, but never ever round your back. End of story

eprex

Forum Lieutenant

Deadlift @ 185
Push press @ 115

Ouch.

Not really sure what you're trying to do with all those reps other than burn calories.

eprex

Forum Lieutenant
Oh and let me add this. I would refrain from not doing any cardio. Putting on weight isn't exactly healthy if it's over a short period of time. It's kind of silly (to me) to get seriously strong and bigger but have the endurance of an obese person. So do some cardio because it's worth whatever calories you burn. Plus you'll prevent looking like you did a full on fat bulk. Try jump rope.

Doczilla

Forum Captain
This type of stuff has increased my strength dramatically. If you think that type of weight at that amount of reps is "cardio" weight, you're one strong dude.

But it will smoke you cardio wise.

eprex

Forum Lieutenant
This type of stuff has increased my strength dramatically. If you think that type of weight at that amount of reps is "cardio" weight, you're one strong dude.

But it will smoke you cardio wise.

I never said you can't gain strength from cardio, in fact you should instead of running on a hamster wheel, but when you're keeping your heart rate that high doing 30 reps you're circuit training, and obviously strength training is superior for strength gains.

Doczilla

Forum Captain
Now that I have more time, here's the reasoning behind it:

Www.militaryathlete.com

Go to FAQ.

It's not for everyone, but it revolves around functional fitness. Lifting someone 1.5 times your body weight and fireman carrying them (or dragging them in a skedco) takes strength AND cardio.

I'm not a huge guy by any means. Normal gym rats can definately outlift me on maxes, but they rest FAR more often. It's designed for industrial athletes (soldiers, public safety) with the aim of increasing performance OUTSIDE the gym.

eprex

Forum Lieutenant
Well, give that a shot and tell me if you would count it as "cardio." :)

I'm just going on the science! I think you'd be better off with more weight and less reps personally. I'm not saying circuit training is useless but the OP asked about strength.

Doczilla

Forum Captain
Well, i go in cycles. Strength, work capacity, and stamina. That was a work capacity one. Medium weight, focuses on an intense work load in a short time. Strength cycles are usually testing your 1RM, then doing sets of 2-3 of 80% 1RM. Usually Olympic lifts. Then endurance is light loading circuits with regular or body armor runs of 2-5 miles in between circuits.

The strength cycles build raw strength, the stamina builds serious cardio, and the work capacity combines your gains in both areas and incorperates them. Each cycle is 2-4 weeks.

The short work capacity ones like the one I shared aren't long enough to burn muscle off from "too much cardio", and provoke a potent metabolic response in a short time.

Beats the hell out of "3 sets of 10."

apagea99

Forum Lieutenant
Well, i go in cycles. Strength, work capacity, and stamina. That was a work capacity one. Medium weight, focuses on an intense work load in a short time. Strength cycles are usually testing your 1RM, then doing sets of 2-3 of 80% 1RM. Usually Olympic lifts. Then endurance is light loading circuits with regular or body armor runs of 2-5 miles in between circuits.

The strength cycles build raw strength, the stamina builds serious cardio, and the work capacity combines your gains in both areas and incorperates them. Each cycle is 2-4 weeks.

The short work capacity ones like the one I shared aren't long enough to burn muscle off from "too much cardio", and provoke a potent metabolic response in a short time.

Sounds like a good combination to me. The group I work out with is using Crossfit Football (http://www.crossfitfootball.com/) as our base, then following it with alternating abs and strength/endurance exercises. Additionally, I run 4-6 miles every other day. This regimen has made my PT tests feel like a minor warm up.

Hunter

Forum Asst. Chief

Doc I'm working on increasing my endurance with a bit strength, I'd love to know more about this circuit you're using.

Last edited by a moderator:

jgmedic

Fire Truck Driver
Crossfit isn't for everyone, but is the only thing that has worked for me. I have noticed a difference in functional strength(ie lifting and moving patients), not to mention a huge difference in body composition. My diet is :censored::censored::censored::censored:, so I have not lost any weight, but my strength and endurance are through the roof compared to when I first started.