ever had a pt you knew

band aid man

Forum Crew Member
How many of you have had a pt that you knew like family or friends how did you do how did it go

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
Yes. A pshyc. Wasn't a family or friend, but someone I went to high school with.

I treated them like any other patient and never spoke a word about it ( both for hipaa and I'm sure that was very embarrassing on the patients behalf). If I run into someone at work, they are a patient and that's it.

Kevinf

Forum Captain
Three car MVA, one of the patients went to high school with my partner. My partner is getting vitals on this patient and the next thing you know... *FLASH* patient takes a selfie with my partner in it while she's getting a BP, and posts it on facebook all while on the stretcher. :eek:

I had a psych patient I had been in high school with (recognized each other, not really acquainted otherwise), and a 4.5 hour transport. :confused:

Saw one of the checkout girls at my usual grocery store doing an EMS ride-along for her nursing class at a local ED. The deer-in-headlights look she was wearing was pretty comical.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Had a guy I went to high school with stab a cop with a screwdriver. The cops tuned him up a little during the arrest. When I walked up to the scene, where the cops had him face down on the pavement, he looked up at me and said, "hey dude! What's up!" That was interesting.

Last edited:

Burritomedic1127

Forum Captain
A kid i knew from high school, overdoses constantly in my service area. Gave them narcan at 3 different occasions. Def awkward when they start waking up "i didnt take anything, hey i know you"

medicaltransient

Forum Lieutenant
My neighbor caused a MVA. She was intoxicated, had no bra on and is very chesty. As soon as she saw me she ran up and gave me a hug. It was very embarrassing but despite a little break in my concentration I treated her as discreetly and professionaly as possible.

cjclrkk

Forum Ride Along
When i was doing my ride-along for emt school i pulled up on scene to a kid with a broken leg and all of his friends were in my high school and one was my cousin.

Another time i pulled up on an MVA and assited a PT until the bus got there and the next day I got a phone call from the mother of the PT because she was friends with my aunt.

cruiseforever

Forum Asst. Chief
When I was on the local ambulance in the town I grew up in. It was very rare to have a pt. I did not know. It was common to have a person call you at work or at home wondering if they should call for the ambulance.

jlw

Dirty cot jockey
Yep, friends and family before. Like others have said, just act professionally while on the job.

tonkseyboy

Forum Probie
I had a full arrest a few nights ago that turned out to be an old friend of mine....it happens.Gotta love small towns.