Ever had a partner you can't trust??

Brandon275

Forum Probie
I recently started working with a new partner about 3 weeks ago now and its clear as day that I cannot trust the guy. Here is why. We went on a call which came in as an assault. We got updated during the response that the victim was a pregnant female who was having abdominal pain and could no longer feel her baby move. So we show up on scene and we found a 28 year old female sitting on the sidewalk crying her eyes out. She could barely speak she was in such shock.

Anyway the cops told us she was thrown against a car, hit in the face and kicked in the stomach. The man who assaulted this poor woman was lying face down on the ground handcuffed. So I started trying to talk to the patient and assess her and this guy is yelling at her and calling her every name in the book including the C-word. I walked over to him and told him to shut up because he was upsetting my patient. Everytime she would try talking to me the guy would yell at her and she would start crying.

So he was thrown in the back of the police wagon and was screaming at me and the patient the whole way to the wagon. My partner comes over with the stretcher and asked me what we had. I responded by saying I couldn't hear the patient or properly assess her because this guy was being a jackass and screaming at the patient and me.

So after the call he threatened to go to management if I told him something like that on scene again. Whatever happened to backing up your partner? Incredible. Needless to say I was not impressed. What happens on calls and in the truck should stay there unless there is an extreme circumstance that requires it. This was hardly a circumstance. Lesson learned. Wont trust him at all and will have to watch my back.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
I don't trust 70% of my coworkers.

My distrust has kept me out of trouble for 4 years and it will continue to do so.

OP
OP
B

Brandon275

Forum Probie
NYMedic, unfortunately this is the mentality I now have. Its unfortunate but it is what it is.

325Medic

Forum Lieutenant
I am in that position right now with one partner. :angry:

F.M.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm confused. He'll go to management and tell then what? That you asked to have a scumbag removed from the scene by PD?

EMSrush

Forum Captain
I'm not understanding what your partner went to management about?

OP
OP
B

Brandon275

Forum Probie
EMS, he threatened to go to management because when he asked me what was going on i said "I couldnt get the story because that guy was being a jackass and was yelling too loud". He didnt like that I said that to him while we were still on scene.

EMSrush

Forum Captain
EMS, he threatened to go to management because when he asked me what was going on i said "I couldnt get the story because that guy was being a jackass and was yelling too loud". He didnt like that I said that to him while we were still on scene.

So, you answered his "...what's going on" question... so, is it the word jackass that he took an issue with? Is he implying that you lost your cool with him?

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Just to play devil's advocate, but why not move the pt away from the scene way before PD removed the assailant?

OP
OP
B

Brandon275

Forum Probie
Aidey he wasnt the patient, the patient was the female assaulted the man who i referred to as jackass was the guy who assaulted her also PD was on scene and removed him. I said that as he was being put in the back of the wagon.

Aidey

Right. Why not move the pt to the ambulance? Or somewhere else. Why sit there and let her be yelled at?

Joe

Forum Captain
Dont wanna move a pt before c spine is assessed and applied if indicated
She was kicked in the head. I would find a new partner. You were not out of line imo. Ive heard wprse from cops and fd on scenes. Yea im guilty of it too.

Aidey

Kicked in the head = head trauma, not neck trauma.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
I've had everything from a partner who broke down and cried that her coworkers were the worst medics on Earth (for splinting a shattered humerus before we placed a C-collar or backboarded a 3y/o girl who'd been moving her head for twenty minutes) to a partner who blasted heroin users with Narcan "because it's protocol."

I have a very hard time trusting partners.

Joe

Forum Captain
Kicked in the head = head trauma, not neck trauma.

Completely agree but we backboard head trauma. Not saying i agree but i have to go along with it. Higher medical authority has decided thats how it is

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Completely agree but we backboard head trauma. Not saying i agree but i have to go along with it. Higher medical authority has decided thats how it is

Just imagine the lawsuits when research shows we've caused more harm than good.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Head trauma is not an automatic backboard, neck trauma is.

So what if this guy went to management. I would bring him to management.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Unfortunately I've also had a couple partners that I don't trust either. I won't go into details about why, but it makes for a very long 24 hours when you can't trust your partner.

Fortunately though, my usual partner is one of my good friends, so I feel pretty good working with her.