ET Tubing question...

MasterIntubator

Forum Captain
I think I worded that wrong..... it should be taken as.... we shouldn't worry to much from aspiration in the field, not that it can't happen. ( looking in the light of field folks kinda intubate the soon to be dead vs elective routine intubation ).

I hear you on that the pneumonias, Vent. More chapters of info.....:p

VentMedic

Forum Chief
I think I worded that wrong..... it should be taken as.... we shouldn't worry to much from aspiration in the field, not that it can't happen. ( looking in the light of field folks kinda intubate the soon to be dead vs elective routine intubation ).

There are several things I learned when I went to RT school after several years of being a master intubator in the field. Even though I had an excellent success rate intubating, I now know there were several things in my technique that I could have done better to prevent many complications later, some of which are deadly. It now takes just a few seconds extra to get things done more correctly when I'm intubating outside of the hospital but it may improve the patient's chance of survival. It is a bummer to save a patient only to have them die of complications which may easily have been prevented with a little more education and improved technique.

MasterIntubator

Forum Captain
I agree with you 100%. I re-read what I wrote.... I just can't word what I really meant.... it still reads like I downplay propper technique in any scenario.

Guess my retinas are burnt tonight.

Bedtime....