ER Rotation coming up...any tips?

HemOnc

Forum Probie
I'm doing my ER Rotation for EMT course tomorrow...Any tips that you can give me?

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm doing my ER Rotation for EMT course tomorrow...Any tips that you can give me?

1) Ask how you can help.
2) Try to shadow a particular person, if they'll let you.
3) Carry gloves with you.

Enjoy!

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
Also listen listen and more listening. Also if it's in the particular area where you will be working. This is probably your first impression to people, make it count!

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Here are a few tips that I have for you.
First: Keep your mouth shut and your ears open. Everyone there (including the techs) know more than you do.
Second: Know what you're allowed to do, what you can do with supervision, and what you may never do under any circumstances. I used to call that last one my "never list."
Third: Be an active learner. Seek out opportunities. If there's a code, ask if you can help. They'll probably put you in the queue for doing compressions. Like most of us here, we've worked codes enough that it's fairly routine for us to do compressions or any other intervention.
Fourth: Ask your preceptor (usually a nurse) if you can practice doing vitals and doing basic patient assessments. Then with each patient, ask the preceptor first and then the patient for permission to do it because you're a student. Don't just mimic what you see your preceptor doing or other staff... we've been around a while and we do very focused assessments so we might not actually do a full-up patient assessment, though if I were to do one and not narrate while I'm doing it, I could get a reasonably well-done assessment done in less than 5 minutes, and at the EMT level, less than one, minus actual vitals (I off-load that task to a machine because I can).
Fifth: have your paperwork with you so we can sign off completion of skills OR so we can reference what you can and can't do. Also if you have to do some documentation, get it done when you can (like when your preceptor is documenting too).
Sixth: have fun!

Medic27

Forum Lieutenant
1.) Listen, follow instructions.
2.) Don't do what I did on my clinical, if anyone is curious you can message me. It's a hilarious story but not something I want the whole world to hear. )
3.) Did I say follow instructions? Follow instructions.

bakertaylor28

Forum Lieutenant
While listening and following instructions is important. Remember there is no such thing as a stupid question.
Ask questions often, particularly when your not SURE you know something. That is what these experiences are for-
they sometimes present the rare exceptions to rules.

bakertaylor28

Forum Lieutenant
:cool:
1.) Listen, follow instructions.
2.) Don't do what I did on my clinical, if anyone is curious you can message me. It's a hilarious story but not something I want the whole world to hear. )
3.) Did I say follow instructions? Follow instructions.

Oh, Inquiring minds DO want to know....:D:p

hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief
Show up on time, properly dressed.
Be prepared(pen, documentation, stethescope if you have one, etc).
Don't get in the way, but do what you're supposed to do.
DBAA.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
Listen specifically to the overhead paging. if you hear them paging a doctor to a room, go to that room. It usually means things are going south for the patient and cool things are about to happen

Always offer to help. The staff will warm up to you quicker if you are helping them move patients, roll them, go and get stuff, ect. Watch the staff, WATCH THE TECHS! Good techs know everyone elses job and anticipate what the RNS and Docs will need.

Dont be afraid to ask. Rarely have i encountered anyone who was not interested in teaching.

azfireguy

Forum Ride Along
Make some beds and take some patients to the bathroom. Whatever time you save the RNs, they should give back in training.