EpiPen and diabetes

EMTtoBE

Forum Crew Member
I was talking to an older man (late 50's early 60's) and he has diabetes (dont now if its type 1 or 2) but he said his doctor perscribed him an EpiPen for it..I have never heard this and what would it do for him if true?

thank you

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Are you sure he didn't mean an insulin pen?

OP
OP
EMTtoBE

EMTtoBE

Forum Crew Member
I may have heard him wrong but i sure did sound like EpiPen

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
The epi pen is for an allergic reaction Epi as in Epinephrine.

Maybe the guy has an allergy as well as diabetes.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
I had a patient one time tell me his doctor put him on Latex for his congestive heart failure. I responded with "I bet that news thrills your wife" and asked if he was sure that it was not Lasix. Patients are notoriously unreliable with this sort of thing.

OP
OP
EMTtoBE

EMTtoBE

Forum Crew Member
It could have been insulin pen...but yea patients arent always aware of what they are taking lol..but after reading i found that it can increase blood sugar levels so dunno lol should have used Google before lol thanks though

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Likely a Glucagon injector. I've seen these a fair number of times.

I completely forgot about those. That's a very likely possibility, seeing as glucagon kits are for emergency use like EpiPens. The ones I've seen are not autoinjectors, though.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
It could have been insulin pen...but yea patients arent always aware of what they are taking lol..but after reading i found that it can increase blood sugar levels so dunno lol should have used Google before lol thanks though

Yes, increases in glucose levels are one of the effects of epinephrine (as part of the "fight or flight" response). However, it is never used clinically for this purpose mostly because of the risk of cardiac events.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I've seen both Insulin pens for hyperglycemia, and Glucagon pens for the treatment of hypoglycemia. The insulin pens looks very similar to the Epi pens. I've never used any of them, but I train on all three once a year.

ajax

Forum Crew Member
Epipens have one (or sometimes two) possible doses. Insulin pens you dial up the dose - most can do anything from 1 unit to 60 or so; some even have half-units. They come in many colors. Glucagon kits are usually bright red. When you open the kit, you see a huge syringe with liquid and a vial with liquid. To use the glucagon, you inject the syringe into the vial, mix, draw it all back into the syringe, and stab your pt. Nothing at all auto about glucagon.

I would guess he meant an insulin pen, and either you heard him wrong or he said it wrong. But still a good idea to double check allergies.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Epipens have one (or sometimes two) possible doses.

Wrong, there are two different doses (0.3 or 0.15 mg) and they come in separate packaging. It's not a "dial-a-dose" feature like you see on the insulin pens.

you see a huge syringe with liquid and a vial with liquid.

It's actually a pretty small syringe since it is intended to be able to be carried in a purse or pocket (I seem to recall it's a short 2 or 3ml syringe) and it contains freeze-dried (or more technically lyophilized) glucagon.

Here's the prescribing information and proper instructions: http://pi.lilly.com/us/rglucagon-ppi.pdf

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Wrong, there are two different doses (0.3 or 0.15 mg) and they come in separate packaging. It's not a "dial-a-dose" feature like you see on the insulin pens.

I think they may have meant the double dose Epi pens - One pen with two doses inside of it.

redcrossemt

Forum Asst. Chief
I think they may have meant the double dose Epi pens - One pen with two doses inside of it.

The Twin-Ject is the brand that you're thinking of with two doses. I know the second dose is not an auto-injector, I forget if the first is or not.

The Epi-Pen is a different brand and only provides one dose. It is a true auto-injector.

ajax

Forum Crew Member
The Twin-Ject is the brand that you're thinking of with two doses. I know the second dose is not an auto-injector, I forget if the first is or not.

The Epi-Pen is a different brand and only provides one dose. It is a true auto-injector.

True story, I should have been clearer. I have always referred to any epi that isn't literally drawn up by me or pushed IV as an epipen, since being a very young (8 year old, I think...) first aid-er, whether they were epipens, or twin jects, or ana kits.

And the size of the glucagon syringe is 2 mg, only a little bigger than the second syringe in the twin ject. I stand corrected. I also discovered that my glucagon is out of date.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
And the size of the glucagon syringe is 2 mg, only a little bigger than the second syringe in the twin ject. I stand corrected. I also discovered that my glucagon is out of date.

Interesting, our Glucagon comes in a 1mg reconstitute vial.

Aidey

It's a 2ml syringe though isn't it? Maybe that is what the poster meant.

I have to admit it's been awhile since I looked that closely at a glucagon syringe.

OP
OP
EMTtoBE

EMTtoBE

Forum Crew Member
I'm a brand new EMT-B (2 months or so) and I have never heard about the Glucagon pens..but now I do and its good to know ..how often do you come across these in the field?

Aidey

It's not a pen, it's a kit that includes a vial and a syringe. The glucagon is a powder and has to be reconstituted before it can be used. I've run into several diabetic patients that keep them around. Usually their family/the people they live with are trained in how to use them. I know I've been on a couple calls where the family gave the glucagon and when it didn't work they called 911.

648_pd2006008_1.jpg