EMT's Not Caring

Jayxbird521

Forum Crew Member
Ha at first i had sympothey for every one i encounterd but i find it helpfull to joke around abought the call or the people i also sometimes end up messing around with the drunks anyone else like that???

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I'm not sure if you know who Steve Berry is.. but he talks in detail about dark humor and EMS... it is a coping mechanism, and ABSOLUTELY appropriate in some circumstances... but it is something best kept within EMS, and within the station... not shared with the public... because the public will assume you are cruel and callous to joke about a patient.

However... "messing" with your patients isn't cool... same as mistreating someone just because you believe they are faking. People who are inebriated can have other major medical problems, and ETOH consumption can mask or imitate other signs/symptoms... like those of a closed head injury.

fma08

Forum Asst. Chief
my version of "messing" with drunks is this, the ones that dont want to wake up/play unresponsive get an NPA so i can help keep an open airway, they usually become responsive at that point. (i actually heard a radio report called into the hospital where they said, the pt. was responsive to nasal stimuli :lol: ) the ones that have pseudo-seizures and talk to me right after get this "so after that seizure, you're left pinky is all numb and tingly eh?" and of course it's always "oh yeah man, it is",

skyemt

Forum Captain
Ha at first i had sympothey for every one i encounterd but i find it helpfull to joke around abought the call or the people i also sometimes end up messing around with the drunks anyone else like that???

calling Rid....

spellcheck, aisle one....

enjoynz

Lady Enjoynz

Well that's just sad, not to mention unprofessional.
It's ok to have 'Black humour' at times,(as Jon said) as long as it stays
within the service.
But even then, you have to be careful, as the patient may end up related to one of the team you work with, you just never know!
(I have heard of it happening here!).

Just remember that the patient is also a consumer of EMS, and pays your wages! Something you might want to keep in mind, next time you want to
make fun of a ETOH patient!
If you want people to respect you as a EMT, try respecting them back!
;).
I have said my piece!

Enjoynz

paramedix

Forum Lieutenant
Theres a difference between "messing" with your patients and being polite... Usually you can judge whether the patient is "ok with it".

I had a lot of patients that are full of jokes, but taking them out when they really sick...nah....:eek:

rmellish

Forum Captain

Title: EMTs not Caring

Ha. At first I had sympathy for everyone I encountered, but I find it helpful to joke around about the call or the people. I also end up messing around with the drunks. Is there anyone else like that?

There....that should help a little.

Last edited by a moderator:

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
every time this guy posts, i literally pause, look skyward and ask "what now". yet, i read every post hoping this will be the one where he grows up and stops loudly proclaiming what a tool he is. alas, this isn't the one. maybe next time.

oh yeah, LEARN TO WORK THE SPELL CHECKER.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Title: EMTs not Caring

Ha. At first I had sympathy for everyone I encountered, but I find it helpful to joke around about the call or the people. I also end up messing around with the drunks. Is there anyone else like that?

There....that should help a little.

Thank-you! :D

R/r 911

EMTMandy

Forum Lieutenant
every time this guy posts, i literally pause, look skyward and ask "what now". yet, i read every post hoping this will be the one where he grows up and stops loudly proclaiming what a tool he is. alas, this isn't the one. maybe next time.

oh yeah, LEARN TO WORK THE SPELL CHECKER.

I'm impressed by anybody that can decipher his posts lol

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm impressed by anybody that can decipher his posts lol

its a challenge but i have a cousin that's retarded. that has helped me to be able to understand mostly incomprehensible babble.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
signadmin1.gif

Folks - Rule #1 of the forum is to "Be Nice". TO EVERYBODY!

And lets get
signtopic3.gif

If we keep being
signtopic15.gif

then this happens:
lock.gif
lock.gif
lock.gif

Thank You!

PS... this was in "EMS Humor" for some reason... but this should be a serious discussion... so it has been moved to EMS Talk. Try to keep it serious.

Jon

el Murpharino

Forum Captain
I think it's normal to joke about some calls - it is sort of amazing to see the lack of common sense in society nowadays. It usually seems to me the situations or surroundings of the patients are the most humorous, not the patients ailment.

As far as the drunks go...what is your definition of "messing"? You do have a legal obligation to treat your patients - and anything less than a professional demeanor is inappropriate. Remember, there are medical conditions that mimic the signs and symptoms of intoxication - do you do a BG on these patients? Also, these kids today get so drunk that they could have airway compromise with their tongue flopping back.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I really don't care about this thread. :glare:

CFRBryan347768

Forum Captain
ya know

I might be new here, but every time i read something, some one is giving someone else trash about spelling, and you are all worried because we will seem unprofessional. Heres a solution, lock the web site down! Make it impossible for any one non-ems or fire fighter to not be able to access the system. Another site i belong to did it and it works great!

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I might be new here, but every time i read something, some one is giving someone else trash about spelling, and you are all worried because we will seem unprofessional. Heres a solution, lock the web site down! Make it impossible for any one non-ems or fire fighter to not be able to access the system. Another site i belong to did it and it works great!

Not an option. We are here as a resource for those in EMS, those that may want to be in EMS, and those that are just here seeking answers about EMS.
We're not strict grammar nazis here, but we do try to maintain the minimum level of internet etiquette to make it easier for those that are attempting to read these posts and answer them.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru

Here is another choice, go to back elementary education and learn how to spell and write. There is spell checks for free, hence inexcusable. Seriously, the remarks of the original posts could be counted as unethical and the continuation of the posts are non-readable. What else can someone surmise?

A requirement of this job and profession is to have the ability to read & write effective and to be able to communicate properly & intelligently.

R/r 911

JPINFV

Gadfly

How exactly do they verify that new members are actually X-cert level? Also, what about people looking into starting out in the field? Should we just turn a blind eye to them? On another forum that I frequent, there was an author who posted a few times looking for input on a few of his story lines that involved EMS (it wasn't focused on EMS) to make it a little more realistic. Should he be shut out and left to write some unrealistic drivel because he couldn't get any input?

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Back on topic, please.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
With recording technology everywhere watching everyone, why risk having your image on the 6 o'clock news? Being a professional regardless of the type of patient or how tempting it is to want to mess with someone should be part of your ethics for any job. There is a fine line that can be crossed easily with a few "good humor" comments to the patients like "leave anything in the bar for the other customers" and just cruel remarks. Even the most good humored comments or remarks not intended to be cruel may be perceived as such by a person in an altered stupor or bystanders just catching a small part of the conversation.

As previously mentioned, there is a medical assessment to do and you wanting to mess with someone may distract you from actually seeing a true medical emergency.