EMT's, Medics and Firefighters assaulted on the job...

DT4EMS

Kip Teitsort, Founder
Even teaching at the Expo, almost every person I spoke to had an anecdotal story of when they or their crew were attacked. We have a very mission specific area for people to share their stories.

I appreciate all the help I can get in making administrations "aware" of the problem. I mean come on...... OSHA, Bureau of Labor Statistics and the NAEMT acknowledge the issue.

In this section of the DT4EMS forums, you can report local news of assaults in your area! You can provide a snipit of the story with a link to the source.

This is also the place to put up YOUR stories. Everywhere I go I have people tell me their stories..... now you have a place to put them because most of them don't make the news. It is the only way we are going to change minds across the country.........

Please help up by sharing your stories today.

http://www.dt4ems.net/forums/index.php?board=16.0

Last edited by a moderator:

RyanMidd

Forum Lieutenant
Last year, Calgary (where I live) enacted legislature to bring assault on paramedics alongside consequences with assaulting LEOs and firefighters. I was surprised that this hadn't been done 15 years ago.

Apparently it is a criminal charge to assault a police officer or firefighter, but until now, punching a paramedic was just a regular ol' assault like getting in a fight at the bar.

Having had my share of "combative patients" to put it mildly, especially many in RCMP holding cells, I'm glad to see that EMS is finally coming up to speed with other essential services (also something that only happened 2 years ago to Calgary EMS.)

Nick647

Forum Lieutenant
Last year, Calgary (where I live) enacted legislature to bring assault on paramedics alongside consequences with assaulting LEOs and firefighters. I was surprised that this hadn't been done 15 years ago.

Apparently it is a criminal charge to assault a police officer or firefighter, but until now, punching a paramedic was just a regular ol' assault like getting in a fight at the bar.

Having had my share of "combative patients" to put it mildly, especially many in RCMP holding cells, I'm glad to see that EMS is finally coming up to speed with other essential services (also something that only happened 2 years ago to Calgary EMS.)

I find it rather BS that if you punch a Medic or an EMT is just like punching someone at a bar where as its a criminal charge if its directed towards PD or FD. Doesnt make sense...<_<