EMTLife Holiday Gift Guide 2012

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
EMTLifers,

With the holidays quickly approaching, I thought it would be fun to list the top 10 gifts for EMTs this year.

#10 - MONOPOLY: EMS Edition - $40

Finally your opportunity to make the big bucks in EMS! The AED is charged, everyone is clear, and you are ready to bring your patient back to life as you round the board to win the special Emergency Medical Services edition of MONOPOLY. No worries if you lose, just call for an ALS intercept.

#9 Garmin nüvi 1490LMT 5-Inch Bluetooth Portable GPS Navigator (w/ Lifetime Map & Traffic Updates) - $140
Because we can't all have a built in GPS, and holding a cell phone while driving RLS just isn't fun, Garmin has the ultimate solution for EMTLifers. The are no sweeter words than, "Arriving at your destination on right."

#8 - Streamlight Stylus Pro Black LED Pen Flashlight with Holster - $20
Throw away those $1 penlights and upgrade to a real EMTLifer's penlight! Give the gift of light! Playing "Marco Polo" in the dark is no fun in the middle of the night. It's even harder when your "Polo" is a LifePak 15 that you left somewhere in a ditch. A flashlight is a great tool that will last a lifetime... or until the batteries run out.

#7 - EMS Field Guide - $17
Sometimes you just need a refresher. Whether drug dosages, drip rates, or common lab values, The EMS Field Guide is something that I used often. It even has extra pages to write ER phone numbers, door codes, and a list of all the clean bathrooms in the county that are open 24/7.

#6 - Veinlite EMS Transilluminator Vein Finder - $208
Be the life of the Christmas party with your Veinlite EMS Transilluminator Vein Finder. Some people notice pretty smiles, others dapper clothing, you first notice one's veins when making introductions. With the Vein Finder you can surely drop a 12 gauge with your eyes closed.

#5 - A Subscription to JEMS - $44 Annually
The "Conscience of EMS", the Journal of Emergency Medical Services leads the industry in providing the EMS advanced provider, instructor and administrator with clinical breakthroughs, product reviews, continuing education and more.

#4 - A Good Pair of Boots - $100+
A good pair of boots are invaluable when you spend most of your day on your feet. Search one of the million+ EMTLife threads on the topic before you make any decisions.

#3 - 3M Littmann Master Classic II Stethoscope - Black Edition - $106
Some people associate green and red with the holidays, others blue and white. In EMS there is nothing more festive than a black Littman Master Classic II Stethoscope.

#2 - EMTLife Premium+ Member Subscription - $35

Edit posts for a week, change your username, and upgrade your PM capacity to 5,000 messages with a EMTLife Premium+ membership! Even better, receive a limited edition EMTLife CPR Mask Keychain. You'll be the envy of your colleagues as you unsheathe the mask, don the appropriate PPE, and give rescue breaths with ease.

#1 - Apple iPad Mini - $329
Laptops are so 2011. The Apple iPad Mini is especially useful in EMS. It will likely fit in your BDU pocket, and is a handy resource while treating patients in the rig. When patient care is complete the iPad Mini is a great e-book reader, Netflix viewer, web browser, and more. Read medical journals and troll EMTLife will ease!

Now it's your turn. What do you think I left off the list?

Last edited:

JPINFV

Gadfly
Swap JEMS with something like the Journal or Emergency Medicine or Prehospital Emergency Care. You know, get them a real journal, not a book with more advertisements than the Sunday newspaper.

Achilles

Forum Moron
Swap the master classic out with the master cardiology, and the ipad mini to an ipad 3.

OP
OP
MMiz

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Swap the master classic out with the master cardiology, and the ipad mini to an ipad 3.
I have a full size iPad that I seem to always have with me at work. Would it be portable enough for EMS?