emtb and er tech

street_shark

Forum Probie
I just became an emt-b and i'm starting to apply for jobs. I wanted to know, before i went on any interviews, how much I could negotiate my pay for. so obviously i would need to know about how much an emt-b makes and/or er tech in the Dallas/ft worth area in Texas. For example, I don't want to sound stupid by asking for 13-14$ if they only start off at 8 or 9$.

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated

Griff

Forum Crew Member

VentMedic

Forum Chief
For example, I don't want to sound stupid by asking for 13-14$ if they only start off at 8 or 9$.

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated

An EMT-B doesn't have much to bargain with to be asking for much of anything. For each of the hospital's ED Technician openings we get almost 200 applicants. Some ambulance services now also get that many applications for each EMT position posted. With a new group of EMTs graduating every 3 months from several schools, the market is saturated.

OP
OP
S

street_shark

Forum Probie
An EMT-B doesn't have much to bargain with to be asking for much of anything. For each of the hospital's ED Technician openings we get almost 200 applicants. Some ambulance services now also get that many applications for each EMT position posted. With a new group of EMTs graduating every 3 months from several schools, the market is saturated.

hm. so i guess what your saying is take what i can get?

@griff
thanks man, that helps a lot!

VentMedic

Forum Chief
hm. so i guess what your saying is take what i can get?

@griff
thanks man, that helps a lot!

Don't get discouraged. Just keep applying and continue your education. When just starting out there may be more important things than money initially like a quality service with some decent mentors and one that works with your schedule to take some college classes before starting Paramedic school.

ChicagolandIFT

Forum Crew Member
You might want to take a CNA class too, hospitals LOVE that. Recently I was called into my nurse manager's office to ask about an applicant for an aide spot who put me as a reference, she had a stack of applications as tall as her inbox. Even with my recommendation, my buddy wasn't hired. She opted for a woman with a BA in business, and starting a masters entry nursing program. It has gotten to the point that many of our aides have more education than our boss (albeit not in nursing). We also have TONS of people graduating from vocational "medical assistant" programs, although I think my manager has had it up to her eyeballs with MA's that think they are RN's.

mct601

RN/NRP
EMT-Bs around here make anywhere from $9-13/hr depending on location and agency. ER Techs make (the ones I've talked to) just under $10, around $9.80/hour. You aren't really in any position to negotiate pay, as stated earlier.

eveningsky339

Forum Lieutenant
You might want to take a CNA class too, hospitals LOVE that. Recently I was called into my nurse manager's office to ask about an applicant for an aide spot who put me as a reference, she had a stack of applications as tall as her inbox. Even with my recommendation, my buddy wasn't hired. She opted for a woman with a BA in business, and starting a masters entry nursing program. It has gotten to the point that many of our aides have more education than our boss (albeit not in nursing). We also have TONS of people graduating from vocational "medical assistant" programs, although I think my manager has had it up to her eyeballs with MA's that think they are RN's.

I second that. I was a CNA before taking an EMT-B course and my EMS provider bumped me to the top of the applicant list.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Depends on the company.

An EMT around here with an ambulance will make between $9-13 starting.

At an ER, between $11-17 starting.

NJnewbie

Forum Crew Member
Is a CNA the same as a Patient Care Tech? There is a PCT class at my local college, but I wasn't sure if it's the same thing. The classes are in phlebotomy and EKG.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Patient Care Tech is a position, typically filled by EMTs/Medics/Medical Assistants and CNAs.

Depending on your certification, you'll be doing more or less in the same position as someone else. Hospitals around her allow their Medic PCTs to start IVs, push drugs, and intubate, while other hospitals might not allow EMT PCTs to push drugs (including saline flushes) but still allow them to start IVs.

Level1pedstech

Forum Captain
Is a CNA the same as a Patient Care Tech? There is a PCT class at my local college, but I wasn't sure if it's the same thing. The classes are in phlebotomy and EKG.

I would hold off on investing your education time and money until you have done all your research on the market you want to work in.You may end up wasting time you could be using to advance your education in classes that are going to count towards later degrees (A+P,Biology). Its hard to give advice when situations differ greatly from state to state and facility to facility. We all mean well but you are your best resource when it comes to the local job market. When I started as a tech I got the in house EKG (performing not interpreting) and Phlebotomy courses during my orientation. Like I said all hospitals are different but traditionally in house courses have been the way hospitals prefer to educate patient caregivers. Some states like CA require a certificate to preform phlebotomy. My advice to you is learn your job market and what is expected for job you want, there is no better friend to the job seeker than good old fashioned footwork.

ChicagolandIFT

Forum Crew Member
I agree about not going to the school for PCT. I am a CNA but at the hospital I am a PCT, and I was put through an EKG and phlebotomy class through the hospital to at their expense while I was getting paid (the phlebotomy class twice since I needed a special cert after the agency the lab is accredited by changed some requirements). So I paid like 500 bucks for my CNA and the hospital paid for the rest (even the people who were hired in with more advanced training had to go to the same classed I had to, things are very strict, and they want everything to be done their way)

NJnewbie

Forum Crew Member
Thanks for the advice. My plans are on hold right now because I'm waiting to have shoulder surgery so I'm just doing research for now and trying to find out where I'd fit in best.