Emt

redbull

Forum Lieutenant
Now that I finally got an EMT job with a private company, I will be employed full time. That's good for me right now given our economy. After I pay off some big credit card and school loan debts, I plan on returning to school for either nursing or PA.

I've been reading about working for fdny, hospital, and privates. I plan on returning to school in at most, 1.5-2 yrs from now (because my pre-requisite classes will have been expired by most school standards given that I will not be attending the school I took them at).
Given that its really difficult to get into a hospital without experience (and I plan on attaining that thru my private work as well as volley), what is my best option in conjunction with school? I do plan on going back to school and working as an EMT.

FDNY or private?

* Sorry for not naming the thread appropriately I just noticed it.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Again this question is NYC specific. Needs to be repeated since most people here are not from NYC.

Privates are better if your attending school.

OP
OP
R

redbull

Forum Lieutenant
Again this question is NYC specific. Needs to be repeated since most people here are not from NYC.

Privates are better if your attending school.

ah ok thanks. sorry about the confusion.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm not sure about NYC, but I would recommend getting in to the hospital as soon as possible. Most of the hospitals out here will give you lots of money for nursing school. In some occasions they will pay for all of it if you sign a contract to work there as an RN for a couple of years. Having a job set up for you once you graduate isn't a bad deal either, since it isn't exactly easy to get hired as a new grad RN anymore.

These types of offers usually extend to all sorts of hospital staff. So even if a transporter type job opens up, you might still consider it. Even if it doesn't get your foot in the door for a more desired position (which these jobs often can do), to cash in on money for your education.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I'm not sure about NYC, but I would recommend getting in to the hospital as soon as possible. Most of the hospitals out here will give you lots of money for nursing school. In some occasions they will pay for all of it if you sign a contract to work there as an RN for a couple of years. Having a job set up for you once you graduate isn't a bad deal either, since it isn't exactly easy to get hired as a new grad RN anymore.

These types of offers usually extend to all sorts of hospital staff. So even if a transporter type job opens up, you might still consider it. Even if it doesn't get your foot in the door for a more desired position (which these jobs often can do), to cash in on money for your education.

I am not aware of hospitals in NYC that will pay for emts or paramedics to become nurses. I am almost certain they don't.

Last edited by a moderator:

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
I am not aware of hospitals in NYC that will pay for emts or paramedics to become nurses. I am almost certain they don't.

Hm that sucks. Kinda figured there would be something similar out there, since there are scholarships/programs at every hospital out here.

OP
OP
R

redbull

Forum Lieutenant

i tried to get in there (as i work with a hospital part-time currently) in their EMS department, but no go. There are no ER Tech positions either. I've tried to get other positions (internal transfers) but nothing came back.