EMT vs EMT Basic??

joeboo

Forum Probie
Can anyone tell me the difference between a Nationally Registered EMT Basic, and a Nationally Registered EMT??

Thanks

There is no difference, the name change was adopted when the National EMS Scope of Practice was put into place.

JPINFV

Gadfly
so why do they have the two?

Transitional period. No one is going to be certified as an NREMT-B now, but not everyone has made the transition yet either.

medic417

The Truth Provider
There is actually a few additional required skills and information that must be taught to transition to an EMT. Those that fail to take a transition course will drop from EMT Basic to First responder.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
There is actually a few additional required skills and information that must be taught to transition to an EMT. Those that fail to take a transition course will drop from EMT Basic to First responder.

To add: not everyone needs to take a transition course. Colorado EMTs are trained in the "new skills" already (wait do we really need a course in how to use an oxygen humidifier?), so no transition class is required. There are several other states in similar situations, but I am not sure which ones those are.

med109

Forum Crew Member
To add: not everyone needs to take a transition course. Colorado EMTs are trained in the "new skills" already (wait do we really need a course in how to use an oxygen humidifier?), so no transition class is required. There are several other states in similar situations, but I am not sure which ones those are.

Can you elaborate on this a little bit? I am in Colorado, and want to make sure I am understanding it all correctly.

I am NREMT-I, if I decide NOT to transition to paramedic, I will remain a intermediate in Colorado but will drop to EMT-A, is this correct?

I also work with a NREMT-Paramedic, he is due to recert and took his 48 hour refresher course March 2012. The certificate he recieved says, "presented in accord with the guidelines of the NREMT and includes update on new curriculum and scope of practice as required by Colorado's EMSP Division." He is under the impression that this is all that is needed to complete the transition so he told the NREMT that he has completed his transition. I am not sure that this is correct. WHat do you think.

If you were in my shoes, would you take the time to transition to paramedic and keep your NREMT or would you let it drop and just stay EMT-I in Colorado? I really don't want to be a paramedic and have no plans on moving to another state ever.

Thanks so much!

OP
OP
J

joeboo

Forum Probie
It is all very confusing.

I just recertified last week as a Basic for the Registry.

No mention at all that I need to take classes to become an "EMT", or that I would soon be downgraded to a First Responder. They just gave me a new card that expires in 3-2015.

Sometimes I think the Registry doesn't even know what's going on:sad:

medic417

The Truth Provider
https://www.nremt.org/nremt/about/transition_policy.asp

"NREMT-Basics who submit an acceptable recertification application but do not include successful completion of a state-approved transition course from EMT-Basic to EMT will be issued National EMS Certification as an Emergency Medical Responder (NREMR) upon reaching their expiration date of March 31, 2015 or 2016. "

hogwiley

Forum Captain

What skills did they add? This is news to me, and Ive been an EMT B(or whatever they call it now) for years.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
You should be getting newsletters and information from the Registry. If your already listed as an EMT, there's nothing else for you to do.

hogwiley

Forum Captain
You should be getting newsletters and information from the Registry. If your already listed as an EMT, there's nothing else for you to do.

Im aware that my certification is good, I was just wondering what "skills" were added to the EMT curriculum. I was aware of some skills like the combitube being taken out at the NREMT level(with some states still requiring it be taught), but I wasnt aware they added anything new.

I knew they added some extra A&P, which wasnt a problem for me since I already have A&P education that goes beyond EMT anyway.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
As long as states insist on having their own panoply of EMT flavors, you're going to see suffixes.

dave0811

Forum Probie
silly question..but I would like to see a few more answers to confirm. on the article it says if your cert expires on so and so dates. as long as my certs expire after those dates I dont need to transition?? im just confused because on NREMT.org it shows my level as a EMT basic, but on the certification page it says level of EMT..lol I think me asking this is silly but I just want to make sure Im reading everything right

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
I think they added Bandaids to our scope.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358274758.503449.jpg
JEMS wrote something worth reading?...