EMT training in VA

Chrissy88

Forum Crew Member
I've heard that there are different regulations in each state, but it seems a bit weird that some states require a semester of First Responder training, then a EMT-Basic course. As far as I know, for Virginia, all you need is a CPR/BLS certification card to enter the class, then one semester of EMT-B training, then I believe you're eligible to take the NREMT...is this correct?

I don't know much about EMS, but I decided to sign up for a EMT-Basic course starting next Tuesday, so I'm a bit apprehensive about it since I'm not exactly an extrovert and I've read that there is a good deal of role-playing. How difficult would it be for a relatively shy person to adjust properly to the class?
My plan right now is to take the EMT-B course, then once I transfer back into a University to join a volunteer rescue squad...
Also would it be doable to take regular classes (Going the biology/P.A. route) and then take classes to become an EMT-I?

I haven't taken the CPR class yet-I will be taking it on Saturday...how difficult is the exam? I imagine it shouldn't be too hard, but it just seems kinda odd that you take a 6 hour class then you have an exam at the end without any time to review your notes--I guess you should be able to retain most of the information during the class..but still...

redcrossemt

Forum Asst. Chief
If you don't pass your CPR class, I would be very worried about you going ahead with FR/EMT training. The exam is based almost solely on skills - and very short and easy.

Why are you taking EMT class without knowing much about EMS?

As far as being shy, not everyone in EMS is exactly an extrovert, but be aware that almost all of our job is about verbally communicating with patients, families, coworkers, nurses, doctors, etc. If you have a hard time acting things out in basic class, I would again worry very much about you having a career in this field.

Goodluck!

OP
OP
C

Chrissy88

Forum Crew Member
If you don't pass your CPR class, I would be very worried about you going ahead with FR/EMT training. The exam is based almost solely on skills - and very short and easy.

Why are you taking EMT class without knowing much about EMS?

As far as being shy, not everyone in EMS is exactly an extrovert, but be aware that almost all of our job is about verbally communicating with patients, families, coworkers, nurses, doctors, etc. If you have a hard time acting things out in basic class, I would again worry very much about you having a career in this field.

Goodluck!

Thank you for your response...

If I don't pass CPR then I won't be allowed to continue the EMT-B class. The dean at the school gave me a '1 week grace period' so I can complete the CPR class then when I pass, I would just give my teacher the letter showing that I did. I'm not worried about it, I was more curious about having the exam right after class.
I am able to communicate pretty well with other people, just I'm not very proactive in class and I usually wait until I absolutely have to speak out, or present something, but I know that needs to change at some point.
For about the past two weeks I've been looking up forums/podcasts/websites on EMS, I know I'm just barely scratching the surface, and I suppose I should have at least some 'ride along' experience before I take the course...but I figure I'll have ample time to do this and learn more and more about the field once I'm actually in class.