emt traing in nyc?

LissetteM

Forum Ride Along
hi, i have been looking up different places that offer emt-b training in nyc and haven't really had much luck. I am currently a high school senior and i am eager to start the course, BUT being as that I am a h.s student that means my funds are extremely low. I have found classes that meet the requirements neccesary for me to be able to take them [ pm/weekend classes, affordable ] but some places require you to be 18 in order to enroll, other require you to already have your h.s diploma, and the rest...well...are too expensive for me or just straight up sound like scams.

does anyone know where i can take this course for a reasonable price and considering my age [ 17 ].

any responses in relation to this i'd appreciate.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Hey I don't know of any courses in NYC (sorry!) but I do have a suggestion for you.

Call up those places that say they require that you're 18 and explain your circumstance, when you'll graduate, and when you'll turn 18.

The reason that I say this is because I am a high school senior and I started my EMT class when I was 17. When I was first looking into the program I'm in all of the materials said that you have to be 18+ and have your diploma to enroll.

Fortunately I called to double check on these requirements, and they actually just wanted me to be 18 by the time clinicals started and a High School grad by the time I was finished with their program. So it worked out.

Also, I would suggest asking your HS counselor if there are any programs available to help pay for the course. Through a PSEO (post-secondary enrollment options) program, I payed for my class up front, but if I get a C or better in the course the school district will reimburse my tuition... all $900 or so of it.

CFRBryan347768

Forum Captain
call your ambulance agencys, they usually sponsor you as long as you'll work for them

OP
OP
L

LissetteM

Forum Ride Along
the few places i did call

either stood by the 18+ requirement or completely brushed me off. one place even told me it would be more expensive because i was younger and i'd have to pay some sort of insurance fee.

CFRBryan347768

Forum Captain
where in NY do you live if you dont mind me asking, i live in NY too, maybe i could help u with a place

OP
OP
L

LissetteM

Forum Ride Along
manhattan

upper manhattan area though.

washington heights/inwood.

but i wouldnt mind traveling like to the bronx or brooklyn even, depending on the location ofcourse.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
1. NYS requires you to be 18 by the time you finish the class. You can not be 17.

2. Saint Vincent's Hospital on 12th steeet and 7th ave, Manhattan CC, LaGuardia CC in Queens, Bronx CC, NY Methodist in Brooklyn. Do you need more?