EMT student please help!!

jhunter91

Forum Ride Along
hello everyone I recently started taking an EMT class at my college and we just had our first test on chapters 1 - 6 i study my *** off completed the study guide and knew everything on it however the entire 40 question test were scenario questions and I got a 77.5% and to me thats not acceptable were dealing with the Brady text book ninth addition does anyone have any advice on how to get scenario practice questions so this doesnt happen again?

Wheel

Forum Asst. Chief
hello everyone I recently started taking an EMT class at my college and we just had our first test on chapters 1 - 6 i study my *** off completed the study guide and knew everything on it however the entire 40 question test were scenario questions and I got a 77.5% and to me thats not acceptable were dealing with the Brady text book ninth addition does anyone have any advice on how to get scenario practice questions so this doesnt happen again?

Try asking your instructor to go over what you missed with you.

OP
OP
J

jhunter91

Forum Ride Along
completely agree this is the instuctors first year and all she does is go through a power point that is made by the books company for the first four hours of class, I asked her if she could give us an idea of what information to study and what to kind of disregard she said everything but didnt say anything about the scenarios and that thats all it was gonna be

WTEngel

M.Sc., OMS-I
Premium Member
Punctuation is your friend.

I know many instructors find it frustrating when a student asks "what is on the exam". Come to your instructor with specific questions that are more pointed than "can you tell me what to study for the exam" and you will most likely get more informed response.

Last edited by a moderator:

teedubbyaw

Forum Deputy Chief
Unfortunately, outside of asking your instructor, there's not much you can do. One of my study partners in basic was great at regurgitating the text book, but our tests were 100 questions, with around 75-80 being scenario based, and picking apart different situations.

I used all resources I could: online module for the text, nremt study guides, read the material as many times as I could, then tried my best to apply it. I did very well, but on the same token, there were guys in the class that barely read, and may have only studies the couple days leading up to the test and managed to pull in B's.

You have to be able to use what you learned and apply the best answer to the situation given.

OP
OP
J

jhunter91

Forum Ride Along
@teedubbyaw thanks for the input besides the instuctor is there any specific websites or books you would suggest to help out?

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
***Quoted post removed***

You asked for advise and you are getting it. Everything you have read or went over in class is and should be fair game. Did you go over your test as a class or with the instructor? Do you know why you got certain questions wrong? You come off as blaming your instructor. Basic is not really that hard though for some It can take a bit to wrap their head around certain concepts.

PaddyWagon

Forum Crew Member
If your test is modeled after NREMT style questions you'll have to learn how to work with that, it's decidedly not like any kind of test where only one answer is correct and the rest are blatantly false.

You should go over to the NREMT section and quickly scan and search for posts that talk about test taking strategy to get you over the hump to 80%+ and beyond.

Engineered

Forum Probie
For me the hardest thing about these tests is making sure you read the questions all the way though. I found these tests harder then any tests I have ever taken in engineering, and its because there is only one answer, and they will try to word the question so you pick the wrong one. Read the question, read it again, and then read it again.

Also, look online, I have an EMT test prep app on my android, and I am sure there are a bunch more out there like that too.

MarkusEMS

Forum Crew Member
I went through my training last year - and I have to say, the more I concentrated on what was given in the question, the more I was successful answering them.

What I mean is - do not read into the the scenario given and think what else may be, but do rather do pay attention to the facts that are given to you. Those questions contain all the "data" that you need in order to determine what illness or trauma the patient has. I remember how I thought beyond the lines of the question in the beginning but that made me really confused and insecure about the right answer.

you definitely need to learn and memorize all those typical signs and symptoms, as many as they are, as overwhelming this is, but you need to know them later on the job, too and with that which treatment is appropriate leading you in the right direction of the right answer to the scenario question.

M.

bonesaw

Forum Probie
It helped me a lot to take the multiple choice quizzes that are on the cdrom with the brady book..... then you can instantly see where you are making mistakes and how they present the questions/answers etc.

Also, in my class we would take a 25 ques quiz every day, then go over it as a class. We would keep them to use as study tools. (Worked for me better than the powerpoint and reading the book)

hogwiley

Forum Captain
EMT students make the same mistake continually. They rely on classroom lecture and dont read all of the text book.

You need to read the text book, ALL OF IT, even the boxes that seem like they just contain tidbits of extra FYI material. You need to remember whats in the text book, ALL OF IT. Details matter for these tests, they matter for the NREMT. If you are vague on the details, then you will probably not do very well.

It really is that simple. Brady has the best EMT text book in my opinion, so everything you need to know for tests is in that book. Read it, Remember it, and use classroom time to ask questions and clarify things you should have already read about.

If you are learning about this stuff for the very first time in class, youre WRONG.

PaddyWagon

Forum Crew Member
How can I give hogwiley a +1; his advice is exactly how I got through my recent basic course with a minimum of stress and maximum of enjoyment.

bonesaw

Forum Probie
emt students make the same mistake continually. They rely on classroom lecture and dont read all of the text book.

You need to read the text book, all of it, even the boxes that seem like they just contain tidbits of extra fyi material. You need to remember whats in the text book, all of it. Details matter for these tests, they matter for the nremt. If you are vague on the details, then you will probably not do very well.

It really is that simple. Brady has the best emt text book in my opinion, so everything you need to know for tests is in that book. read it, remember it, and use classroom time to ask questions and clarify things you should have already read about.

If you are learning about this stuff for the very first time in class, youre wrong

+100000

Household6

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
Have you registered your book on Bradybooks.com and gone through the study guides they have that go along with the text? They have flashcards and quizzes and stuff..

acard1772

Forum Ride Along
EMT students make the same mistake continually. They rely on classroom lecture and dont read all of the text book.

You need to read the text book, ALL OF IT, even the boxes that seem like they just contain tidbits of extra FYI material. You need to remember whats in the text book, ALL OF IT. Details matter for these tests, they matter for the NREMT. If you are vague on the details, then you will probably not do very well.

It really is that simple. Brady has the best EMT text book in my opinion, so everything you need to know for tests is in that book. Read it, Remember it, and use classroom time to ask questions and clarify things you should have already read about.

If you are learning about this stuff for the very first time in class, youre WRONG.

This is truthfully the best advice..also if possible look over your tests before and after grading, 9/10 if you missed the question it's not that you didn't know the material but rather you didn't read the question and answers thoroughly