EMT State Reciprocity

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
Will all states allow you to maintain your original states's certification?

Of must one state be surrenedered to get the other ?

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Some states do not give you full credit for ConEd taken outside their area, so you end up lapsing even tho you have done all the hours.

I went through this with IL a few years ago and had to scramble to get my ConEd done.

tony1

Forum Crew Member
I agree that it probably won't go well. I tried that myself also. I had reciprocity in NY which is where I am from, and then it lapsed due to me putting off moving back there. I now cannot get that license back unless I go out there for a refresher course in Suffolk County. They will not allow me to renew a license once held via mail so I now only have my IL until I get there for the refresher. It's difficult enough to maintain the con ed for the two systems I am in without doing two states. I guess if you have a license in border states, such as alot of people I know that have one in Wisconsin and one in IL, it is possible to do con ed for both states if you live near the border and can commute easily. The whole reason for me orignally doing EMT years ago was to one day move back to NY but I have been delayed by obligations in IL which is why I lapsed. From my experience, EMS systems I have been in only give you half credit for con ed outside their system. I'm not even sure how it would work from state to state. One state might not accept any from another state.

Last edited by a moderator: