EMT school vs. Actual Field work Questions

Luno

OG
Premium Member
To echo Vene again, there is very little difference between the field and the class, the principles generally hold true. What there is an astronomical lack of, is an ability to relate the lessons learned in the class into practical application. Also the instructor quality is less than stellar in most circumstances...

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I recommend making index cards with different conditions or chief complaints (seizure, ALOC, poisoning, stroke, cardiac, SOB, etc) with both questions to ask for each and physical exams to do for each.

Ex: Seizure
Hx: Aura before? Describe seizure? Duration? How many? Previous seizure? Fall? Post-ictal?
Physical: Oral trauma? Incontinence? Pupils?

Maybe also a treatment section.

I found that helpful as a new EMT, so I wouldn't feel like I was floating and reaching for random questions when I got on scene.

Yes. ANd, from Luno:

"To echo Vene again, there is very little difference between the field and the class, the principles generally hold true. What there is an astronomical lack of, is an ability to relate the lessons learned in the class into practical application. Also the instructor quality is less than stellar in most circumstances..."

RemoteMedicineIreland

Forum Probie
Yes. ANd, from Luno:

"To echo Vene again, there is very little difference between the field and the class, the principles generally hold true. What there is an astronomical lack of, is an ability to relate the lessons learned in the class into practical application. Also the instructor quality is less than stellar in most circumstances..."

I found the smart phone easier than the cards

DesignPD

Forum Ride Along
Field Training

Doesn't a good field training and evaluation program help overcome these obstacles?

How common are standardized field training programs in EMS?

It seems like some have something, while others do not.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Doesn't a good field training and evaluation program help overcome these obstacles?

The only thing that helps is having class and field instructors who understand and can teach people to apply thory to practice and not just run them through the motions of "this is what we do and this is how we do it."

In EMS these people are extraordinarily rare and often do not stay in field EMS very long. So the most likely place (which is like catching a leprechaun) to find them is during initial education.

potoole

Forum Ride Along
To echo Vene again, there is very little difference between the field and the class, the principles generally hold true. What there is an astronomical lack of, is an ability to relate the lessons learned in the class into practical application. Also the instructor quality is less than stellar in most circumstances...

for the most part i agree with you. it's just a hard transition depending on what service you get on. if you get on a low key service, it would be an easier transition, but if you get on a service which has the ems 911 contract for a larger city, it may be difficult to relate the class to the road because you start to see how not every call will be a by the books call. along the same lines as the instructor comment, most instructors will try to make sure you know what the book wants you to know.

crazycajun

Forum Captain
I have taught a few EMT classes in my day. I have never taught to a level of simply passing a test. IMO, these cookie cutter schools should not be allowed to exist. My job as an instructor is to teach you to a level of being not only competent but also comfortable in the field. I believe in real world scenarios, live patient clinicals and real time field experience during class. I have told every student I have ever taught that if they can pass my final exam they will have no problem passing the NREMT.

potoole

Forum Ride Along
I have taught a few EMT classes in my day. I have never taught to a level of simply passing a test. IMO, these cookie cutter schools should not be allowed to exist. My job as an instructor is to teach you to a level of being not only competent but also comfortable in the field. I believe in real world scenarios, live patient clinicals and real time field experience during class. I have told every student I have ever taught that if they can pass my final exam they will have no problem passing the NREMT.

i had three instructors for my course, all would have been excellent if they worked together a little better, but one had great real world experiences for everything, one had extensive book knowledge, and one got us observation and ride times for als, bls, and dispatch, but i dont feel it was enough for the real world.

djarmpit

Forum Lieutenant
I've heard rumors that some EMT teachers who are FF, usually teach so that they are able to get promoted. Not sure how true this is so don't fire at me for that quote.

Also, I have to agree with the previous post about going through the "minimum" in order to pass. I have many friends who took 1 month long accelerated courses and it seems like unless you are going through a community college and taking a semester long class, you are often only taking a 1-3 month course.

TMEEMT

Forum Ride Along
I must defend the schools. While they are not perfect, they give you the basis to which you can add on.
During my class and while working on the field I find that my instructor was a brilliant person that DID prepare me. He told us "you need to THINK. This job is not number crunching."
The questions listed above are somewhat logical questions to ask if you read the textbook and know what is related to abdominal pain.
I spent a lot of time on the forum lately and found this this pattern of blaming the system or the schools because of inadequate EMTs. It is just game of blaming somebody else.
Yeah, the class doesn't teach you every question or scenario possible. This is why experience is needed.
For the first two months I went by OPQRSTI only. Now I listen to the pt and modify my questions. The skills we learn are there to make sure we dont miss something important. They are BASIC *hint* *hint* questions.
:) (happy posting. I am not angry at all)

This. I have very little experience so far in the field compared to what most have since I am still a new EMT. Honestly the things that we went over in class did truly help so far, most likely because it is still fresh in my mind. But still, a lot of it can be bs it's up to you how much you take away from it to better yourself as an EMT.