EMT refuses to respond

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I think i would be the same way! My deal is this was a baby a child and how could someone just say oo I dont want to help, It just makes me sick!

Personally (as a mom I may be a little biased) if an EMT or P refused to help my baby "because youknow how these families get" I would strongly be considering legal advise on her personally. But, like I said, I could be biased... And a bit of a Mama Bear.

Sure, BUT......if you (or others in your home) make the responders feel physically threatened.....what do you expect?

Amelia

You're stuck w/ me now (insert evil laughter here)
Sure, BUT......if you (or others in your home) make the responders feel physically threatened.....what do you expect?

No, but face value, if she didnt go for the sole purpose of not wanting to, Id flip out.

Amelia

Plus the transcription said that she blatently refused, she has dine this before, and she even drove the ambulance on the street and parked.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Maybe she's completely negligent. I have no idea - I don't know her and I wasn't there.

I'm just saying, you can't take a news article at face value....and there are times when a unit is completely justified in refusing to respond.

Last edited:

Amelia

Maybe she's completely negligent. I have no idea - I don't know her and I wasn't there.

I'm just saying, you can't take a news article at face value....and there are times when a is completely justified in refusing to respond.
I absolutely agree! Personal safety #1 prority. But in this case she flat out went against dispatch and supervisor orders.

RedAirplane

Forum Asst. Chief
The few times I've been in the news, it told a total ******** falsehood of the thing I was doing. So I'm skeptical of news.

"[RedAirplane] and his two children enjoy shopping at Store XYZ..."
Really? I was like 12 at the time of the article. I guess I must have gotten pretty busy pretty fast. ;)

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

I'm just saying, you can't take a news article at face value....and there are times when a unit is completely justified in refusing to respond.

I said the same thing on a few different threads on Facebook and was a sultry crucified. Called heartless, told I shouldn't be in EMS, threatened, told I didn't know what I was talking about because I'd never worked a pedi code (that one made me laugh because I'm approaching 10 dead kids in 3 years as a medic with ~75% as working codes.

I don't agree with her actions and I don't think she should be employed or have a certification after reading the official report which was released after the internal investigation was complete but all my posts were prior to that and even after it's release its still a valid point.

I absolutely agree! Personal safety #1 prority. But in this case she flat out went against dispatch and supervisor orders.

I've been ordered by dispatch to enter a scene because my cocaine and heroin OD patient was in cardiac arrest after originally being told to stage because there was a loud, violent sounding disturbance in the background of the call. Once he arrested I was told to enter by the dispatcher and the communications supervisor. I asked if PD was on scene and was told no. I requested that PD upgrade to a code 3 response and advised I was continuing to stage but would enter with PD rather than waiting for them to clear it then call their dispatch and their dispatch call my dispatch and my dispatch then relay to me that the scene was clear.

PD showed up, we went in with them and the LEO ended up drawing down on someone. Somehow in his coked out rage he was smart enough to listen to the LEOs commands and dropped the knife he had otherwise he was real close to being shot. Had we entered when the patient arrested and we were "ordered" to enter the scene it would've gotten real interesting real quick. Even having an armed LEO I was really close to hitting my panic button to get more lethal cover there ASAP.

Just an example, granted from the report it doesn't sound like there was any indication of a hostile scene and she wasn't staging due to safety concerns.

Last edited:
OP
OP
LaceyA

LaceyA

Forum Crew Member

How does she know if she hasnt even made the scene? IDK none of us were there so we really dont know what all went on, the history or anything. I do Think the department did the right thing in letting her go...

Amelia

I said the same thing on a few different threads on Facebook and was a sultry crucified. Called heartless, told I shouldn't be in EMS, threatened, told I didn't know what I was talking about because I'd never worked a pedi code (that one made me laugh because I'm approaching 10 dead kids in 3 years as a medic with ~75% as working codes.

I don't agree with her actions and I don't think she should be employed or have a certification after reading the official report which was released after the internal investigation was complete but all my posts were prior to that and even after it's release its still a valid point.

I've been ordered by dispatch to enter a scene because my cocaine and heroin OD patient was in cardiac arrest after originally being told to stage because there was a loud, violent sounding disturbance in the background of the call. Once he arrested I was told to enter by the dispatcher and the communications supervisor. I asked if PD was on scene and was told no. I requested that PD upgrade to a code 3 response and advised I was continuing to stage but would enter with PD rather than waiting for them to clear it then call their dispatch and their dispatch call my dispatch and my dispatch then relay to me that the scene was clear.

PD showed up, we went in with them and the LEO ended up drawing down on someone. Somehow in his coked out rage he was smart enough to listen to the LEOs commands and dropped the knife he had otherwise he was real close to being shot. Had we entered when the patient arrested and we were "ordered" to enter the scene it would've gotten real interesting real quick. Even having an armed LEO I was really close to hitting my panic button to get more lethal cover there ASAP.

Just an example, granted from the report it doesn't sound like there was any indication of a hostile scene and she wasn't staging due to safety concerns.

Thats the exact point: "There was no indication of a hostile situation and wasnt staging due to safety concerns." That is exactly it. If it were my baby, this ***** would have a world of a mess of a Mama to deal with.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show

phideux

Forum Captain

Were either the Dispatcher or Supervisor that were giving the orders on the scene to know that it was safe?????

How does she know if she hasnt even made the scene? IDK none of us were there so we really dont know what all went on, the history or anything. I do Think the department did the right thing in letting her go...

The worst time to try and figure out scene safety is after you make the scene.

I wasn't there so I don't know squat about what went down. How many of you posting here have actually worked 911 in an actual "Hood"? Not the little one road stretch on the edge of town where a couple of idiots sling some small time dope, but the actual "Hood". Million plus person areas with square miles of low income housing where 85% of the people don't work, and most have been on public assistance for several generations.
I've seen it where there is a crowd of family on scene and they don't like the fact that they don't think you are doing something right to help whoever you are there to help. You'll get some start screaming and yelling and someone will fall out, then 2 others will be mad at you cause now you need to get someone to help the one who fell out, then that starts winding up the guys in the family and it can get ugly.

DrParasite

How many of you posting here have actually worked 911 in an actual "Hood"? Not the little one road stretch on the edge of town where a couple of idiots sling some small time dope, but the actual "Hood". Million plus person areas with square miles of low income housing where 85% of the people don't work, and most have been on public assistance for several generations.
I have. And most times, I haven't had PD on scene before me. It's the nature of the business, especially if you work in the "hood."

There is absolutely nothing to indicate this is an unsafe scene. In fact, if you indeed do work in the hood, you would know that poor people get sick, and more often than not, all they want you to do is help their loved one. I can assure you that if she arrived to help, the family would have done whatever they could to make her job easier. Especially with a premature child who was now in cardiac arrest.

There are several things that you only do in the hood that you don't do in the burbs. not assisting a sick patient is not one of them. not making patient contact on a pediatric cardiac arrest is not one of them. and you still do your damn job, regardless of if you are working in the sticks or the ghetto.

I am hoping she ends up in jail for her actions, but I do think that her actions are a symptom of an even larger problem within detroit EMS

phideux

Forum Captain
I have. And most times, I haven't had PD on scene before me. It's the nature of the business, especially if you work in the "hood."

There is absolutely nothing to indicate this is an unsafe scene. In fact, if you indeed do work in the hood, you would know that poor people get sick, and more often than not, all they want you to do is help their loved one. I can assure you that if she arrived to help, the family would have done whatever they could to make her job easier. Especially with a premature child who was now in cardiac arrest.

There are several things that you only do in the hood that you don't do in the burbs. not assisting a sick patient is not one of them. not making patient contact on a pediatric cardiac arrest is not one of them. and you still do your damn job, regardless of if you are working in the sticks or the ghetto.

I am hoping she ends up in jail for her actions, but I do think that her actions are a symptom of an even larger problem within detroit EMS

I agree with everything you say, and still stick to the fact that I wasn't there, and don't know the territory there. There were times working the Hood where I went in no problem without backup, there are also times where a certain address or neighborhood coming through dispatch means I ain't going in without the Calvary.
Like you say, regardless of where you are working you still do your job, sometimes doing that job means staying put until it is safe to do your job. The Dispatcher sitting in a cubicle miles away doesn't know if the scene is safe, neither does the Supervisor sitting in his cubicle or Fly car offscene.

Had a call one time with a Pediatric death, not even a really bad part of town, after midnight the 3yo "snuck out" past the 7 "adult" crackheads in the house who were watching him because Mamma was out "running errands". Showed up first to a really angry scene, grabbed the kid and GTF out of there. The angry scene followed to the ER where people got hurt and several were arrested. The poor kid was DRT, obviously, but I grabbed him just to be able to leave the scene with my and my partners butts. Got in trouble for messing up a crime scene.

DrParasite

The Dispatcher sitting in a cubicle miles away doesn't know if the scene is safe, neither does the Supervisor sitting in his cubicle or Fly car offscene.
exactly. until you make it on scene, you don't know it's unsafe, unless there is a reason for you to suspect it's unsafe (and based on everything that is reported, there wasn't). there was your "typically" sick medical call. you only know what you know based on what dispatch says, based on what they are told. Go in and do your job. don't say you aren't going to because you would have to do CPR for 10 minutes.
Had a call one time with a Pediatric death, not even a really bad part of town, after midnight the 3yo "snuck out" past the 7 "adult" crackheads in the house who were watching him because Mamma was out "running errands". Showed up first to a really angry scene, grabbed the kid and GTF out of there. The angry scene followed to the ER where people got hurt and several were arrested. The poor kid was DRT, obviously, but I grabbed him just to be able to leave the scene with my and my partners butts. Got in trouble for messing up a crime scene.
Did you refuse to go on the job? no. you did your job, found it to bad, and GTF out of there, which was exactly the right thing to do.

The angry scene followed you to the ER (which happens in the hood, no argument there), so I'm hoping you called ahead and had the PD waiting for your in the ambulance bay. Let the cops deal with the angry scene, and tell anyone who give you crap about messing up a crime scene FU, because if it's a choice between a dead kid and messed up crime scene, and a dead kid, two dead or injured providers, and a pristine crime scene, which do you think is preferable?

If she had gotten there and bailed because the family got hostile, I would agree with her. If it has been a reported violent crime, or potential for violent crime, and she felt the assailant was still there, ok, I can see staging. If she pulled up to the house, and people with weapons came charging at the ambulance, sure. But that wasn't the case.

You might disagree, but based on all the information that was reported, she deserved to lose her job, her cert, and should be in jail for a willful neglect of duty.

EMS HOT BOX

Forum Probie
Like EMS in many urban environments Detroit was top notch even when the EEOC mandate took effect. I worked alongside good men from the ghettos who came to our jobs & did a good days work & many of them are friends of mine who I break bread with as if they were my own. The problem came when the Liberal enablers of shiftless ghetto slackers shoved Affirmative Action down the collective throats of the PD, FD & EMS. This criminal is a product of that failed strategy.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Uh, @EMS HOT BOX, what evidence do you have for that? I would caution you that the inflammatory language is not a good way to get your point across.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EMS HOT BOX

Forum Probie
There isn't one word, phrase or statement in any part of my post that even "you" could deem inflammatory, racist, sexist, homophobic, denigrating, salacious, libelous or what "you" would stoop to deem politically incorrect. And you demand that I must provide "you" with evidence of what & for what or who? You? I have in no way attempted to make a point, like "you" or maybe not like "you" I, like many other members here just stated my opinion. So don't go mistaking me for some whole other man.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
[emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DrParasite

Former Detroit EMT found guilty of willful neglect of duty in 2015 infant death case

"A former Detroit Fire Department EMT has been found guilty of willful neglect of duty in connection to the 2015 death of an 8-month-old girl.

Ann Marie Thomas was fired from DFD after the department said she refused to help the baby May 30, 2015 while she was on duty just minutes away from the home in the 19900 block of Glastonbury. An ambulance eventually got the baby to a hospital. She was revived but died the next morning."

but here is the weird part:

"Moreover, the infant's mother was charged with homicide and child abuse in this case. The mother, 26-year-old Janee Wright-Trussell, told Local 4 she can't believe she was charged before the EMT. She denies any wrong-doing. "

read the rest at https://www.clickondetroit.com/news...ful-neglect-of-duty-in-2015-infant-death-case