EMT protocols for each state.

Abunai

Forum Ride Along
Hey everyone im new to the forum, Im an EMT-B from MD and well i don't know if you guys might be able to help me out with this or not but im looking for a complete list of protocols for every state in the US. I know it sounds crazy but im working on a huge project right now with a friend of mine to create a complete list of protocols online. So if you guys could please post links to PDF's or point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Are you looking for protocols or scope of practice?

The overall scope of practice for EMTs and Paramedics is defined at the federal level by the DOT. States can determine a scope of practice for within that state, and it is determined by state law.

Protocols are what a medical director will allow people to do when practicing under their license. Each individual EMS agency will have its own protocols laid out by their medical director. Sometimes multiple agencies that all practice in the same county or city will all work under the same protocol.

Making a list of the scope of practice for each state is feasible. If you want to make a list of all the protocols for each agency, you are looking at thousands of different documents.

We also already have this thread, which should help.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
A

Abunai

Forum Ride Along
Thanks for the clarity, i know in MD we follow the same set of protocols and scope of practice regardless of area or company we work for. I wasn't aware that other states were governed by different protocol listings depending on agency worked for.

PhilipM3

Forum Crew Member
Well I think most states go by NREMT protocol, so that should definitely narrow it down for you.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Just because the initial education is the same doesn't mean that the scope of practice, protocols, and procedures are the same. Heck, California is famous for having different protocols and policies on a county by county basis.

PhilipM3

Forum Crew Member
Just because the initial education is the same doesn't mean that the scope of practice, protocols, and procedures are the same. Heck, California is famous for having different protocols and policies on a county by county basis.

Ah, I did not know that. Thats pretty strange. I wonder what state/jurisdiction allows EMT-Is the widest scope of practice.

Apsaras

Forum Ride Along
That sounds hideous. Ever run into trouble with this? I imagine there could be more than a few concerns when crossing county lines.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
But if EMTs in all those states have to pass the same test regarding protocol, wouldnt that imply that the various states' protocols will be the same?

Every medical professional (RN, RRT, PT, OT, PA, NP, MD) take a national board for certification to get a license in their state.

There are certain things that must be base knowledge for any profession to have some consistency.

Ah, I did not know that. Thats pretty strange. I wonder what state/jurisdiction allows EMT-Is the widest scope of practice.

Even if the scope of practice is broad, that doesn't mean your Medical Director has to allow the EMT(P)s to do everything.

And, let's not forget the new levels coming soon. The EMT-I will be gone and good riddance to a level that is a half-arsed psuedo EMT/Paramedic level.

wyoskibum

Forum Captain
Ambitious project

Hey everyone im new to the forum, Im an EMT-B from MD and well i don't know if you guys might be able to help me out with this or not but im looking for a complete list of protocols for every state in the US. I know it sounds crazy but im working on a huge project right now with a friend of mine to create a complete list of protocols online. So if you guys could please post links to PDF's or point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

I wish it was as simple as talking to the OEMS in each state. Unfortunately, as others have informed you, it's not. In Wyoming, each individual EMS agency has their own protocols which the state approves, but the procedures and skill will vary widely. In CT, it's not as bad. I work in SW region and there is one set of protocols for that region, but there are exceptions depending on the individual agency's medical director. My service does not do CPAP, but next town over does. I've run into instances where the protocols are not released in an electronic format.

Good luck with your project. Be sure to post here if it comes to fruition.

JPINFV

Gadfly
That sounds hideous. Ever run into trouble with this? I imagine there could be more than a few concerns when crossing county lines.

Nope. Regardless of where you're at, you operate under the protocols and policies of the county that your company is based out if. Just because you transport across county lines doesn't mean that your expected to change your protocol.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Allow me to provide an example of what a medical director can do.

This is Collier County, FL. In Florida the Paramedics take a state exam to get their cert and then apply for a state license. The medical director may then require them to test on the protocols he has written for them within their scope of practice.

If a Medical Director feels you or any of his/her Paramedics are unable to perform their duties or fail to take their jobs seriously, he/she does not have to allow them to function at the level of their certification. Lucky for these guys, in the below thread with the article, they are also FFs since they can not meet the minimum standards set by their Medical Director to function as Paramedics. They would be unemployed anywhere else.

http://www.emtlife.com/showthread.php?t=9153&highlight=collier+county