EMT positions in San Diego

Monkey

Forum Lieutenant
Ouch... talk about bad timing... R/M hired 30 in Feb, 15 in April and are slated to hire another 15-20 that start in May (which is the class they were probably calling you on).

Keep applying everywhere, most places like R/M, Pacific, and a couple others only keep applications for a max of 6 months, so make sure you make regular rounds.

EMTsanders

Forum Crew Member
yea i just couldnt believe it, i hadn't had service the entire trip then all of a sudden i had a voicemail and was able to call back....won't give up yet though!

FIREMedic619

Forum Ride Along
I guess I'm resurrecting this post from the dead!

For those of you that have said that Rural Metro has been hiring in the past few months, have those shown up on their website? I swear I've been looking all the time and have never seen any EMT-B positions available to apply.

I'm relocating to San Diego in August, but if SDMSE(R/M) or AMR are hiring before then, I'd be all for relocating sooner.

It's also been a year since I got my EMT-B certification, and I haven't tried to find work until now. What do I need to brush up on for the interview and testing process? I read a lot about reviewing protocols in this thread.

Monkey

Forum Lieutenant
Rural hired 15 that started the 9th. They're hiring another batch around end of June.

so that makes what, 30 in Feb, 15 in April, 15 in May, and more in June... and to be honest, I don't know if they post the postions on the R/M site or even the SDMSE site, they get a couple hundred apps a week with no advertising, so it's hard to say if they even need to.

Just make sure you have a current resume/application on file at all times. They only keep them on file for about 6 months.

as for interview stuff, make sure you know your freeways, hospitals, san diego protocols for BLS. when you drop off your application, make sure you have your resume and a copy of ALL your certs with it (county, CPR, ADL, Medical Examiners, etc).

I haven't heard much about AMR lately, it's been pretty quiet on their BLS side as far as what's going on with them.

kravturtle

Forum Crew Member
And for protocols, definitely know San Diego's. I was asked about specific SD protocols during the RM interview. There's a definite emphasis on the protocol for transporting a patient with an established IV, which is true pretty much everywhere. On the other hand, know more universal protocols. I was asked about what APGAR stood for, as well as what the LPM rate should be on a non re-breather. And as Monkey said, know SD's hospitals and freeways. I was asked to name all the base hospitals, name 4 of the 6 freeways that run east to west, and to describe the specific location of several hospitals.

But that was all for RM. I don't know much about AMR.

Also, there is a thread floating around somewhere that is all about what to expect in a RM San Diego interview, if you want more information.

Hope this helps!

FIREMedic619

Forum Ride Along
Monkey and kravturtle, thank you soooo much for the info! I'll definitely search for the R/M interview process.

I need to scramble and get all my stuff in order!

ShotMedic

Forum Crew Member
San Diego EMS jobs

I would recommend riding a long with these companies if they have that as a possibility. Even if they are not hiring good way to get your face out there. O yeah it keeps you sharp on your assessment skills too! kill 2 birds with one stone. If you can't find a private Company to ride a long at go to the Fire Agencies. If thats not your gig let me know i might be able to help

kravturtle

Forum Crew Member
I agree about the ride-alongs. Even if you can't do anything, it's still really nice to be able to run through the scenarios in your own head and see if what you would do is what they're doing. And just sitting around between calls, you get some pretty good advice from the crews, plus you make friends and can call upon them for later advice and even references. I haven't had to try the private companies (I've had luck the fire dept. in my home town), but it's worth a try.

EMTsanders

Forum Crew Member
has anyone had ANY sort of luck? it's almost been long enough to where i gotta go back in to all these places and re-apply. I've even tried seaworld, the zoo, del mar far grounds, soak city....

Monkey

Forum Lieutenant
I was told by their managers Tuesday that ER and Express are actively hiring now. Hit them up ASAP.

EMTsanders

Forum Crew Member
I applied to ER with recomendations from a friend who works there but we think i got shot down cause i'm only 19, but you never know. haven't heard of express but i'll get on that ASAP, thank you!

kravturtle

Forum Crew Member
Wow. So I got a call from Bayside today asking if I could come in tomorrow for an interview. It's been three months since I turned in that application! And probably just as long since I've looked over my EMT stuff! Crunch time!

Sako887

Forum Probie
I got my cert with la county scope of practice. Would that be an issue if I want to work in SD?

EMTsanders

Forum Crew Member
got a call this past friday morning from R/M asking if i could come in the 15th (this friday) for an interview....it's been 7 months since i applied i'm super nervous an quite rusty....anyone have any help as to which questions they might ask????

Monkey

Forum Lieutenant
Know your hospitals, base, trauma, locations...

Know your protocols. Not sure if they'll ask the old ones or the recently enacted ones for BLS, but know both to be safe.

Know your freeways, which are North/South, East/West in the whole county!

Know APGAR, GCS, nad your basics.

Most will be on the written "exam" but you may get a few questions in the interview too.

And remember, CUSTOMER SERVICE, is a large part of BLS, keep it in mind when you are asked questions, ;)

kravturtle

Forum Crew Member
Know your protocol for transporting with established interventions! They asked me that one in the interview, not on the written test. But other than that, Monkey's got it. I don't have anything else to add. I'm not sure if they would ask about the new protocols, considering I have not been able to track the book down yet, but since it's online, they might be worth knowing. Good luck!!

EMTsanders

Forum Crew Member
Did my interview, i feel the oral part went really well, they asked a couple of "give examples of a pressure situation that you handled well" and "give and example of good customer service you've provided" they asked how you'd handle it if your partner was super rude and aggressive toward others. in the written they asked about base hospitals, what was the back up for pediatric trauma, freeways that run east-west and generally where a couple hospitals were, i didn't really know where kaiser was except east lol but i'm super confident, and i'll know by wednesday. the receptionist lady also said they had to hire a specific quota of females, so i had a leg up, and that the 830 appt. was a no show and a female, so i had better chances lol. they were interviewing 30 people, not sure how many positions were open. but i'm gonna keep my fingers crossed!!
^_^