EMT positions in San Diego

warsaw1776

Forum Ride Along
there were a lot of loyal EMTs there who put in a lot of time, we didnt have a really high turn over rate like care, balboa and ER have, and it seemed like management really cared, but apperently not.

looker

Forum Asst. Chief
never said there was anything wrong with it, neither did i say i wouldnt have done it myself. but when your building a company, including getting new contracts and hiring 15 new people normally you dont just up and quit. it was the shell shock of it that makes it so annoying.

Sounds like it was unplanned sell. Basically they got a call from a broker with an offer that was so good that he could not refuse. Thing happen and unfortunately some people get caught in a cross fire.

warsaw1776

Forum Ride Along
done talking about it though. it was a great experience worked with a lot of great people and make a lot of friends, just wish it would have lasted longer. i dont regret working there and would do it again.

looker

Forum Asst. Chief
done talking about it though. it was a great experience worked with a lot of great people and make a lot of friends, just wish it would have lasted longer. i dont regret working there and would do it again.

Good luck with next job

SanDiegoEmt7

Forum Captain
You need to understand that action of employees being fired is normally done by the new owner. It have nothing to do with working for unprofessional IFT but everything to do with care firing everyone which is very interesting thing in it self.

I only speak from knowing EMTs that work at every company!!!

I don't want to slander companies on the internet. If somebody wants to ask me specific questions about specific San Diego companies, feel free to PM me.

In any area where there are many competitors, all competing for ball breaking IFT contracts, there are corners cut. That's why I recommend to everyone on this forum, apply at the big companies that have good contracts that I listed above and wait. Waiting 3-6 (even 6-9 months for Rural Metro) is a much smarter idea, MUCH SMARTER idea.

Last edited by a moderator:

LSalander

Forum Crew Member
Xtreme Care and other San Diego companies

I applied the other day. Small office, looked more like an apartment than an office. They were nice, had uniforms and all. But I'm totally new to this and they were the first ones I applied at. Anyone work there have any feedback?

Also applied at ER Ambulance in El Cajon. Bigger office, more professional looking. But I've read bad things on the web about them and got negative feedback from a class mate that used to work for Care. He hasn't worked in over a year though, so I'd like some more recent feedback if anyone has any.

I'm also applying with Schaffer, Balboa, Care, and AMR. Anyone have feedback on them?

Rural/Metro just hired a bunch and won't be hiring again til summer, but I'm gonna bug them once a month. I'd really like to work there, get in while I'm an EMT-B and get experience for paramedic school. I'll take any feedback or advice anyone's handing out on getting into R/M.

LSalander

Forum Crew Member
I only speak from knowing EMTs that work at every company!!!

I don't want to slander companies on the internet. If somebody wants to ask me specific questions about specific San Diego companies, feel free to PM me.

In any area where there are many competitors, all competing for ball breaking IFT contracts, there are corners cut. That's why I recommend to everyone on this forum, apply at the big companies that have good contracts that I listed above and wait. Waiting 3-6 (even 6-9 months for Rural Metro) is a much smarter idea, MUCH SMARTER idea.
Is it better to hold out and get hired at a reputable company than to take a job at a less-reputable one while you're still applying? Does it hurt your chances of getting into the good companies if you've worked for the less reputable ones?

I'm hoping to apply to paramedic school in a year or so and want to get as much experiance as possible as soon as possilbe, but I have my heart set on getting into Rural/Metro and continuing there while I do my medic training. I dont want to hurt my chances at getting into R/M...

kravturtle

Forum Crew Member
Yeah I tried R/M this round as well, but didn't get it. I have another question to add--I was wondering if anyone knew what places in SD were hiring part time. I go to school full time, and as much as I would love to work full time as well, it's just out of the question. AMR and R/M are hiring full time right now, so that's why they didn't work out for. But as for the smaller companies, I was wondering if anyone had an insight on those.

LSalander

Forum Crew Member
Yeah I tried R/M this round as well, but didn't get it. I have another question to add--I was wondering if anyone knew what places in SD were hiring part time. I go to school full time, and as much as I would love to work full time as well, it's just out of the question. AMR and R/M are hiring full time right now, so that's why they didn't work out for. But as for the smaller companies, I was wondering if anyone had an insight on those.
Have you looked into ER Tech jobs? I have an EMT classmate who's more interested in nursing than paramed and she's volunteering at an ER and waiting to get hired part time.

Sharp has an online jobs page that you set up your resume and can search and apply through. I'm sure the other hospitals do as well.

kravturtle

Forum Crew Member
Have you looked into ER Tech jobs? I have an EMT classmate who's more interested in nursing than paramed and she's volunteering at an ER and waiting to get hired part time.

I had a friend who was trying to do that recently and was not having much luck, but I think I'll go ahead and try.

I'm actually the other way around--I'm much more interested in the ambulance side of things, even though I'm going to school for nursing. :p But yes, it is probably a good idea to do that until I find a part time job or get out of school and can accept a full time job. And I think I'll look into it. Thanks!

Monkey

Forum Lieutenant
Bayside (South Bay) hires part time, you might try Pineapple Express too, but not 100% sure of their status.

Care, SDMSE, AMR, Balboa, Pacific, Priority One, ER, Premier, Extreme, Air Care, Ameri-care.. I know I forgot one or two... mainly full time hiring.

There is NOTHING wrong to work for a private BLS agency while waiting to get into SDMS or AMR... You're working and gaining experience (hopefully good experience) and will eventually get in where you want to be. Use the time to improve, network, learn and grow.

EMTsanders

Forum Crew Member
I've put in all my apps to AMR, R/M, Care, South Bay and Pacific....i really wanna call them and check up on it however its only been two weeks. How long is long enough do you think before callin around to make sure my apps have even been seen or processed? I don't know...i may just be excited/impatient :blush:

Monkey

Forum Lieutenant
R/M just hired 30, don't expect to hear from them right now. Make sure you put a new app in with them about every 6 months to make sure you haven't been purged from their system. AMR just hired too I heard, but can't confirm that. South Bay, hard to say, there's stuff brewin down there, but unsure if good or bad. Have you tried ER or Balboa? I know Balboa has a slew going to medic school in March, so they'll be loadin up soon I'm sure.

kravturtle

Forum Crew Member
Balboa holds on to apps for one month, so should I call before that month is up or just submit again? I don't want to be pushy, but I don't want to seem disinterested either. I'm with sanders on this one. :)

I've submitted apps to other places but if Balboa has people heading off to medic school, perhaps my chances are better there.

Monkey

Forum Lieutenant
I would personally stop by and hand an app/resume to the admin, or whatever there, and say " I would like leave an updated resume (or application) with you so that your files are up to date when you call for interviews". but that's me. :)

OH and some like pacific have online apps... they're good, but I prefer to let em see my ugly mug as often as I can so that they KNOW who belongs to that resume. LOL

kravturtle

Forum Crew Member
OH and some like pacific have online apps... they're good, but I prefer to let em see my ugly mug as often as I can so that they KNOW who belongs to that resume. LOL

That's what I was going to ask next. With RM, I can just show up, since nothing electronic and it's normal to show up at the office. But with Pacific, Balboa, and others, since everything is online, I wanted to make sure I'm not overstepping any boundaries by showing up to say hi and check on my app.

Monkey

Forum Lieutenant
don't say check up... that may or may not annoy 'em. Just hand them a resume and say that you wanted to leave an updated resume to keep their records up to date. sometimes BEING there will get you brought in for an interview then and there if the right people are around. (this is for the smaller places, R/M not so much)