EMT Job

LAS46

Forum Crew Member
I was wondering if anyone knows about any jobs in Southern Colorado... it seems that this area does not have much in the way of advertising position openings.

Level1pedstech

Forum Captain
I would try firehouse.com they have a very large community with lots of forum choices. I am sure if there is something available even in Southern Colo you will find someone with some information.its also a great site for networking with other Fire/EMS people. Where are you located? I lived outside of Durango on and off for many years its a great place to live but man the good jobs are few and far between.

judoka5446

Forum Crew Member
Scan the phonebook for companies and call them and have them email or fax you an application. Even if they arent hiring at the moment they will keep your app on file. Thats how i got my current EMT gig.

OP
OP
LAS46

LAS46

Forum Crew Member
I think the part I am having issues with is finding someone who will take a newbe, and everyone I have talked to wants at least 1yr Experience.

EMT.Hart

Forum Probie

Dustin,

I can completely relate to you and your situation. I finished school and went and took my NR 2 weeks later. 2 weeks after that I was state cert.

Fresh out the gate and ready to get my hands dirty and save lives!

6 months later I too realized that it seems that every where I go or apply to requires at least 2 years exp. I couldn't figure out where to go if every place had this prerequisit.

I wanted 911. No if ands or buts. I think this is Your problem...

Open your phone book and call a private ambulance company. Transports is where you'll get your 2 yrs. It's a great place to start. Not as much code 3 or amputations but it will help you get your routine down. ( ptn assesment. Abcs. Vs. And paperwork that 911 calls font have time for you to learn "on the job" with no idea of what's going on. )

I work for a private ambulance company and believe it or not these old folks being transported to the er for dyspnea are a lot more exciting than I thought they would be.

In 2 years, if I'm not management at this company you can guarentee I will be going to 911. With expirence.

Hope this helps. - sorry if the grammar/punctuation is a little off. I'm typing on my iPhone and I have big fingers. Haha. Any rate.
Good luck!!

Thindian

Forum Crew Member
To reiterate what EMT.Hart said, private ambulance companies are your best bet. There are SOME 911 companies in southern california that will take you even without 1 yr experience, but they are usually backed up with applications.

Don't forget though, pre-hospital experience isn't JUST sitting in the back of an ambulance! Try and get a job as an ER Tech at some of the local hospitals, you'll see more and treat more than if you were with an IFT company or 911 company.

And unless you've got your Fire 1 and/or relatives and friends with a certain fire department, you're going to have a really tough time going fire with just an EMT certification. While you're grinding this year out, use this time to further your education at the local community colleges or trade schools. I know UCLA's prehospital program has a bunch of great courses for fresh EMT-Bs to take (ECG, Pharmacology, ACLS, PALS, PHTLS).

Good luck!

emt1972

Forum Probie
Interesting how people seem to go off topic about things... the post was about EMT jobs and people are talking about not getting a job as a firefighter with just an EMT cert?! try www.craigslist.com, you can search for jobs close to you (among search for other things). craigslist is a free posting site, and with the way the economy has been... a lot of employers are using it because... well it is FREE!

Last edited by a moderator:

EMT.Hart

Forum Probie
Interesting how people seem to go off topic about things... the post was about EMT jobs and people are talking about not getting a job as a firefighter with just an EMT cert?! try www.craigslist.com, you can search for jobs close to you (among search for other things). craigslist is a free posting site, and with the way the economy has been... a lot of employers are using it because... well it is FREE!

Who got off topic... ?