emt intermediate book

mewtwo

Forum Ride Along
hi i am interested in the emt field and was wondering if any of you guys have a sugestion on a good text book for emt intermediate i am not a student for emt but hope in the near future to be a student and i would like to get a jump start on learning the matterial so any good sugestions.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
hi i am interested in the emt field and was wondering if any of you guys have a sugestion on a good text book for emt intermediate i am not a student for emt but hope in the near future to be a student and i would like to get a jump start on learning the matterial so any good sugestions.

I cannot comment on a good intermediate book, but before you go farther, you should understand that Intermediate certification is the second step-- before enrolling in an I course, you need to be a certified Basic EMT. I didnt get that idea from your post/profile that you are certified as an EMT-B. Am I incorrect?

Good Luck in your pursuits!

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
The first thing you should do it get certified in CPR with AED and first aid. This will give you a good beginning into what is Basic Life Support. Contact the American Heart Association or Red Cross and see when they have their next training session.

When you finish that, then call up your local community college, hospital, etc and see about EMT-Basic class. It's around 140 hours of classroom and clinical training. It can be pretty intense if you don't have much backround. See about doing a ride along for your local ambulance service.

When you've completed EMT-basic and gotten certified, then work for about 6 months. At that point you'll have a good idea if EMS is something for you, more of a hobby, profession, passion or something left to other people.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Before going to the advanced step one has to master the basics... okay, there that should satisfy some. Start at the very basics of a couple semesters of college or university level of anatomy and physiology, then afterwards take the basic EMT course.

If and only if, you still feel that you want to pursue EMS as a career, then enroll and take associated courses.

Reading ahead will only confuse and may give false implications of the simplicity there is much more than in the text. I can read on how to perform a vasectomy and it appears pretty easy and simplistic, but I doubt that anyone would volunteer my services.

Good luck,

R/r 911

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
I agree with Ridryder that it is important to get some basis in A&P before you delve head first into EMS. That said, 99% of EMTs have not taken these courses. I have not, tho I am a pre-med and have taken a bunch of related science courses. The A&P that we learned in biology (with lab) was pretty darn good, I think. In any case, if you want to make EMS a profession and work up to the paramedic level, then you should surely take A&P and such. Maybe even a semester of general chemistry and biology.

OP
OP
M

mewtwo

Forum Ride Along
i am certified in first aid cpr and aed i was hoping to get a leg up on emt if emt intermediate is to advance what about an emt basic book i feel that emergency medicine is one of my callings

Last edited by a moderator:

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
i am certified in first aid cpr and aed i was hoping to get a leg up on emt if emt intermediate is to advance what about an emt basic book i feel that emergency medicine is one of my callings

If emergency medicine is one of your 'callings' then listen to the advice you have just been given. Take some basic biology, anatomy & physiology, chemistry, perhaps a basic technical or report writing english class. The cart belongs behind the horse.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru

Not to be belittling, but I believe in honesty and since you ask for help, here it is. I think you missed the point. Albeit CPR/AED is nice but my 12 year old great niece is certified, and this means nothing. Those are public education courses and are important part of the chain of survival, but in reality nothing to compare to medical courses.

If you really do feel the "call" then start at the basics of learning the body. This will determine if your calling is real or just a tinge of being a wanting to be a whacker. Obtain the knowledge of the parts and how they work, before attempting to "fix" anything. As well, please review the use of English, grammar, etc... Albeit, I am no expert, but most courses require the use of general standards as well as communicating to anyone.

Everyone has to start at the Basic Level. Many do not realize this is just an introductory course to teach the nominal basics, but even at that some realize this is not the profession to enter. One cannot "jump" ahead for many reasons. This profession not only require cognitive knowledge, but performance in skills as well. If one finds Basic EMT difficult, then I would seriously reevaluate my pursuit.

It has become seriously difficult to obtain a job or obtain experience at the Basic Level. Having the prerequisite basics, will allow one to enter most medic programs.

I wish you the best of luck in the pursuit of career.

R/r 911

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
I think what we're trying to say is it's not hard to become an EMT. It's hard to become a damn good EMT. One that doesn't just act like a monkey when it comes to procedures but actually knows what going on behind the scenes.

EMS for too long hasn't been professional enough. What we advocate it bringing it to the next level. Thus, we advocate you take some bio-type classes.