EMT-I question

Chap

Forum Ride Along
I may be taking an EMT-Intermediate course very soon. Can someone give me an idea of the depth of the subject matter taught, especially in relation to pharmacology? I am trying to decide whether to take this course. I want the EMT-P, but my current sched and the dates that course are offered won't work, and I start a nursing program in August, and I won't have any time at all after that, at least for about a year and a half. So do I take the EMT-I now why I have the time?

Thanks....

Chap

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
Compared with nursing school, there is way less depth in the content. My experience is a bit dated, but I took VA EMT-Cardiac (similar to I-85) in 1998, RN school 1999-2000, and EMT-P in 2000 as well.

Cardiac required memorization of indications and contraindications, etc of a list of 25 or so meds. No pharmacokinetics.

Nursing school was a whole 'nother thing, but I still feel like I skated by and never really learned a lot of the pharmacology until I was really working.

Paramedic class was a joke after that. VA's EMS education system is just weird.

Anyway, if you want to do EMS, I'd hop into that I class right now. It would be a fun warm-up to nursing school. Just remember when you start nursing school, don't get a big head. Keep humble, and try not to mention the EMS experience you have. Nursing instructors, in my experience, just don't want to hear about it.

RuralMedik

Forum Ride Along
Is it the Intermediate 85 or 99 cirriculum?

Either course would be good, 99 being better, as it may give you an earlier view into basic cardiology, which you'll need as a nurse. Both courses will introduce you to IV access and basic pharmacology.

The main difference is that I-99 delves into cardiology, advanced airway (ETT), etc. I-85 does not.

This is a very incomplete answer, and I apologize for my haste. For a better overview, go to this page

www . vdh . virginia . gov/OEMS/Training/Transition . htm (close the spaces between the periods, I can't post links until after 5 posts)

Click on Scope of Practice-Formulary and Scope of Practice-Procedures.

EMT-Enhanced/Advanced is comparable to Intermediate/85
EMT-Intermediate is same as Intermediate/99

Best of luck in whichever you decide!

Last edited by a moderator:

Madmedic780

Forum Crew Member
I'd say that it depends on the state. Oregon has a stand-alone program that doesn't really match the national framework that much. The bulk of the program that I am going through right now is Cardiology and Pharmacology.

http://egov.oregon.gov/DHS/ph/ems/certific/scope.shtml is the Oregon scope of practice for all 4 levels of providers.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Is it the Intermediate 85 or 99 cirriculum?
The main difference is that I-99 delves into cardiology, advanced airway (ETT), etc. I-85 does not.

I am an I/85 and we definitely went into advanced airways and basic cardiology. Basic resus pharm and basic rhythm interpretation.

Your state's scope for I/85s may not allow I/85s to use these skills, but it is within the national scope of an EMT-I/85

I really enjoyed my I class, it was a lot of fun, but I also had an excellent teacher. I'm hoping knowing the basics of cardiology and pharmacology will help in P school. We will see. From all the posts on here I feel like I'm going backwards getting my EMT-P then my RN instead of the other way around.

Last edited by a moderator:

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
I am an I'85 and it's all weird. We used an I'99 book, learned ETT, ACLS, 3 lead EKG along with dynamic cardiology, LMA, King, CPAP & CombiTube airways. Epi, atropine, narcan, dw5, thiamine and a host of other IV, IM, SC and ETT meds, IOs, IVs. But we didn't get as high as I'99s (just a few skills away) as the NH legislature didn't see the need. So we tested I'85 and were told to forget everything we knew about ALS. Weird stuff.

Madmedic780

Forum Crew Member
I am an I'85 and it's all weird. We used an I'99 book, learned ETT, ACLS, 3 lead EKG along with dynamic cardiology, LMA, King, CPAP & CombiTube airways. Epi, atropine, narcan, dw5, thiamine and a host of other IV, IM, SC and ETT meds, IOs, IVs. But we didn't get as high as I'99s (just a few skills away) as the NH legislature didn't see the need. So we tested I'85 and were told to forget everything we knew about ALS. Weird stuff.

Tell me about it, my instructor is having us use Mosby's Paramedic textbook. Can you say confusing?

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Using a medic book. Wow, that's another variable to confuse you. Are you testing for 85 or 99?