EMT-I/99 is not a Paramedic!!

VirginiaEMT

Forum Lieutenant
I was one of those stating that I could do all of the skills of a paramedic as an EMT-I/99. WRONG!! Every time I go to paramedic class I realize that have a lot to learn. It is like the epiphany that I had in my B to I class. I realized that I knew very little as an EMT-B. TAKE A PARAMEDIC CLASS IF IT IS A POSSIBILITY.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
uradygyn.jpg

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
I was one of those stating that I could do all of the skills of a paramedic as an EMT-I/99. WRONG!! Every time I go to paramedic class I realize that have a lot to learn. It is like the epiphany that I had in my B to I class. I realized that I knew very little as an EMT-B. TAKE A PARAMEDIC CLASS IF IT IS A POSSIBILITY.

And now you see why those of us who come from states like VA get a little peeved about the whole "medic" title....

I could teach a weekend course on how to do the skills. It's the application that's hard to learn.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
Just wait till you go for a class above paramedic... Going to feel pretty lacking in knowledge then too...

OP
OP
VirginiaEMT

VirginiaEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Just wait till you go for a class above paramedic... Going to feel pretty lacking in knowledge then too...

I think paramedic may be it for me. I'm 48, have a full-time career as commercial insurance agent and work part-time for an EMS agency (24-36 hours hours a week). I am also worn out from just finishing the EMT-I/99 class and going straight into paramedic. Who knows what the future holds!! I have a feeling it will take all I have left to stay on top of being a quality paramedic.

Jambi

Forum Deputy Chief
I think paramedic may be it for me. I'm 48, have a full-time career as commercial insurance agent and work part-time for an EMS agency (24-36 hours hours a week). I am also worn out from just finishing the EMT-I/99 class and going straight into paramedic. Who knows what the future holds!! I have a feeling it will take all I have left to stay on top of being a quality paramedic.

There's a story that finished or started med school at 59...

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Down with all these half-step EMT add-on certificates.

Ok, you've hit your ceiling in EMS. How about disaster preparedness?

PS: See Jambi's signature line.

OP
OP
VirginiaEMT

VirginiaEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Down with all these half-step EMT add-on certificates.

Ok, you've hit your ceiling in EMS. How about disaster preparedness?

PS: See Jambi's signature line.

Great idea!! I actually am going to travel as part of a medical team from my church with Mennonite Disaster Service to disaster areas throughout the world such as New Orleans and Haiti. My wife and my retirement plan is to sell the house, buy an R.V, and travel throughout the U.S helping others get back on their feet.

Last edited by a moderator:

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
When I moved to Virginia it was a shock that many departments place EMT-I's in the same category as Paramedics, call them "ALS," and give them identical lattitude /scope.

Where I come from, the I-99 (EMT-CC in NY) was largely mother-may-I for most interventions, in that they had to call for everything, and appropriately so. The educational levels are too different, and the current Paramedic curriculum is barely adequate as it is. The better medics take it upon themselves to educate past the standard curriculum.

To me, the EMT-I, at least a new one is still too much "see A - do B" instead of using clinical judgment due to the lack of education. It baffles me how providers here want to go EMT-B > E > I > P instead of going right from B to P. NYC medics go this route, and do fine. Taking baby steps is unecessary, expensive (both for opportunity cost of not making medic pay and also the cost of the classes) and redundant.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
When I moved to Virginia it was a shock that many departments place EMT-I's in the same category as Paramedics, call them "ALS," and give them identical lattitude /scope.

Where I come from, the I-99 (EMT-CC in NY) was largely mother-may-I for most interventions, in that they had to call for everything, and appropriately so. The educational levels are too different, and the current Paramedic curriculum is barely adequate as it is. The better medics take it upon themselves to educate past the standard curriculum.

To me, the EMT-I, at least a new one is still too much "see A - do B" instead of using clinical judgment due to the lack of education. It baffles me how providers here want to go EMT-B > E > I > P instead of going right from B to P. NYC medics go this route, and do fine. Taking baby steps is unecessary, expensive (both for opportunity cost of not making medic pay and also the cost of the classes) and redundant.

I believe EMT-CC in NY is considered to be above an EMT-I and below a medic by educational standards.

Farmer2DO

Forum Captain
I believe EMT-CC in NY is considered to be above an EMT-I and below a medic by educational standards.

That may be, but the EMT-CC in New York (State) is still a VERY weak imitation of the paramedic, IMHO. Our system is no longer credentialing them, and as of 2014, they will be considered BLS.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
That may be, but the EMT-CC in New York (State) is still a VERY weak imitation of the paramedic, IMHO. Our system is no longer credentialing them, and as of 2014, they will be considered BLS.

Trust me I am aware. I work in the city where only paramedic is recognized but where I volunteer is dominated by CCs.

We have around 12 CCs and 4 paramedics. (3 of the medics never show up for calls)

They don't follow assessment based management whatsoever, they are an empowered EMT. In my county they must call medical control for everything but D50. Even narcan they have to call.

mycrofft

"How To Get ALS* Without Training or Paying Wages For It".

*sort of.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard

I see. Until I moved down South I was vaguely aware of some certs called I-85 and I-99, but paid no mind since NYC employers only recognize EMT and EMT-P. When I asked about their education, It just sounded a lot like the EMT-CC's except that they didn't have to call for everything. I thought "EMT-CC" was just a sexed up name for the I-99.

BTW, in WV, medics have to call for a bunch of stuff still, regardless if EMT-I or paramedic. I guess the state isn't impressed by their providers?

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
And now you see why those of us who come from states like VA get a little peeved about the whole "medic" title....

I usually do not care about titles but I went to a new doctors office a few weeks ago and the medical assistants called themselves nurses. That really touched a nerve. I have spent the past four years of my life in school, put myself in debt, and just emptied by bank account down to $10 to pay for all my license paperwork and NCLEX so that I can hopefully earn that title. (I know RN is the legal title but I still think going by nurse is misleading, especially to the public who do not know any better)

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
I usually do not care about titles but I went to a new doctors office a few weeks ago and the medical assistants called themselves nurses. That really touched a nerve. I have spent the past four years of my life in school, put myself in debt, and just emptied by bank account down to $10 to pay for all my license paperwork and NCLEX so that I can hopefully earn that title. (I know RN is the legal title but I still think going by nurse is misleading, especially to the public who do not know any better)

Just remember that when your colleagues are pushing the "DNPs are doctor's too" malarkey.

mycrofft

Misrepresenting yourself as a medical provider...I know it's a crime in many states as a MD, and I think it is as a nurse. I bet it's a civil liability for any level of caregiver in any state.

Too many little nooks and crannies of EMS titles all designed to get providers to work cheap beyond their wholistic base of training. You want to start IV's and put tubes into people, get your Paramedic or RN or MD or PA/FNP.

OP
OP
VirginiaEMT

VirginiaEMT

Forum Lieutenant

Where are you located in the Shenandoah Valley?

You are 100% correct, but very few that I see pick up a book after completing class.

I disagree. I went from B to I and now to P, skipping over E. I am very thankful that I took the I/99 class before paramedic although I had no intention at the time of even taking a paramedic class. I went into the paramedic class knowing med. math, I.Vs, EKGs(although not as much as I thought), and most skills, now I can concentrate on learning ONLY what I wasn't taught in the I class or correcting what I thought I knew. I don't see how anything can be redundant if you are continually growing. If that were the case, reading more than 1 book on EKGs is redundant.

Last edited by a moderator: