EMT Exams

Raf

Forum Lieutenant
Is it possible in my state (mass) or any others to take an exam for an EMT certification without taking the course? I am already a FR and I was wondering if I could just buy some books and study on my own to take the EMT-B exam. I love reading and I'm more of a self learner.

Mass doesn't recognize NREMT but I would take that too if I could without a class.

Let me know if I have any other options.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
I can't advise whether you can or can't, but I would recommend that you go ahead and take the class. From a management's point of view, I wouldn't even consider someone one who was a self-studiend EMT. By being self-studied means that you didn't partake in any scenarios nor did any clinical times.

How could they have any confidence in hiring you without knowing if you could handle it?

OP
OP
Raf

Raf

Forum Lieutenant
I'm a current member of the EMS squad here at my college so I get plenty of calls. I'm not sure if I'm really looking into getting hired or not anyways though. I was just curious if I could get the certification without taking a course, if it's legally possible.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Of course not.

I'd say having book knowledge is a small percentage of what EMS is all about. It's the combination of book knowledge, practical skills, and dedication that makes someone an EMT.

As a teacher I went to college and took 180 credits. With an average class being 3-4 credits, that's about 45 classes. Only five of those 45 classes actually concerned learning how to be a teacher. As a History teacher I took math, science, geology, geography, psychology, sociology, and quite a few other courses. Earning the Paramedic certification, just like a college degree, is just as much about the process as it is the product.

Some people may be grandfathered in because they hold a certification from x long ago, but everyone must take a state-approved course that contains x amount of hours.

I hope that helps!

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Probalby not.

BUT-

PA did just do a pilot bridge program for FR to EMT

OP
OP
Raf

Raf

Forum Lieutenant
I wish we had that over here. It just seems kind of redudant because FR and EMT-B are pretty similar. EMT-B's just go into a bit more depth and get more practice.

natrab

Forum Crew Member
There's a lot more to the EMT cert than FR. The main goal is beginning the process of really figuring out what's wrong with people. Learning how to ask the right questions and get a good report out of the patient and how to assess the unresponsive or altered patient and figure out the why. It's a very hard skill to learn, and it's the same one you work on when becoming a paramedic. I really suggest you take the course. Some places can do it in as little as one month and it will definately be worth it.

OP
OP
Raf

Raf

Forum Lieutenant
Yeah I'm definitely going to take it now. I couldn't find a course that does it in a month, but I did find one I really like for 6:30-10 twice a week from sept to dec. A lot of the courses had saturday sessions which I think everyone can admit is not very cool. But this one doesnt have that so I think I'll be good and enjoy my weekends :p