EMT education

brazil2014

Forum Ride Along
Hi guys, if any one could help me I'll be trilled. I finish my EMT, got my ticket, I am working, etc.... what should study in order to continue on my ems educational.

thanks everyone.

RookieRescue

Forum Ride Along
it depends how far you want to go, and the level of care you want to provide

after emt theres a lot of other certs you can get (PALS, ACLS, etc.) or classes like (ICS) depending on where you live, as for expanding EMT scpe, there is EMT-I/85/AEMT and paramedic

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
EMTs are welcome to take AHA classes like PALS and ACLS, but you will not be issued a card at the end of the class.

iftmedic

Forum Lieutenant
Why would they not issue card?? Those cards alone are not any kinda licensure... They just certify you sat for the 4 or 8 hours of class and if anything its redundant since you cover it in medic school and any new additional meds are within your county protocols... That is normally covered during your EMS update for your specific system .

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Why would they not issue card?? Those cards alone are not any kinda licensure... They just certify you sat for the 4 or 8 hours of class and if anything its redundant since you cover it in medic school and any new additional meds are within your county protocols... That is normally covered during your EMS update for your specific system .

As an EMT how would you go about performing many of the ACLS interventions since they're out of the EMT scope? There is a certain knowledge base needed for the class that an EMT certification alone isn't going to cover.

It's not done here, nor was it in New England, or anywhere else I've ever heard of.

Wheel

Forum Asst. Chief
As an EMT how would you go about performing many of the ACLS interventions since they're out of the EMT scope? There is a certain knowledge base needed for the class that an EMT certification alone isn't going to cover.

It's not done here, nor was it in New England, or anywhere else I've ever heard of.

Same here. They would likely not pass the mega code either. The skills and treatment are outside of their scope.

iftmedic

Forum Lieutenant
As stated earlier AHA cards do not license you to perform anything above your scope of practice its just a card indicating you sat for the 4-8 hour class ...I never implied or stated that an EMT with a PALS or ACLS card could go above they're scope. What I am saying is why would they not issue the card it does not license you to do anything... I had a PALS and ACLS when I was an EMT. As a Paramedic I've worked in counties that don't require ACLS since I'm a State Licensed and Accredited in the county .

iftmedic

Forum Lieutenant
You could teach a monkey to follow the AHA algorithms. Its like a computer code if one thing is present do this if not do that... Its that simple. For ACLS you just have to have basic EKG knowledge. In medic school they just drill that in to your brain till second nature.

JPINFV

Gadfly
You could teach a monkey to follow the AHA algorithms. Its like a computer code if one thing is present do this if not do that... Its that simple. For ACLS you just have to have basic EKG knowledge. In medic school they just drill that in to your brain till second nature.

Proof that you can teach a monkey to do ACLS? All the 3rd year medical students who have an ACLS card.