Emt-d

TreySpooner65

Forum Lieutenant
Does anyone know the scoop? I googled and some old threads came up but didnt really find an answer. We currently have EMT-Ds here in Ventura County and was wondering if it would be good to get an EMT-D cert (if possible) to help on the resume.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Correct me if I am wrong but isn't that just a holdover from the days when AEDs were first introduced and it is now effectively the same thing as an EMT-B? That is how it has worked the other places I have lived that had the "EMT-D" designation. My guess is that it is not going to help your resume or everyone would already be doing it, thereby negating any theoretical benefit it might have in the first place.

OP
OP
T

TreySpooner65

Forum Lieutenant
Thats what I read, but a lot of the current job listings say an EMT-D is required. Not for entry level EMT-B jobs. The only place I have seen this is on FD job listings for positions higher than Firefighter like Engineer. So it seems like they wil train you for EMT-D once you get hired because the entry level jobs dont require it, but it is required later...

JPINFV

Gadfly
The "EMT-Defibriallator" level was an informal level used by some counties to denote EMT-Is ("one," not "intermediate") who had completed the requirements for a handful of optional scope of practice modules, including one that allowed EMT-Is to manually defibrillate while under direct supervision. That specific package was removed in July 2010 when California switched from EMT-I/EMT-II/EMT-P to the new standard of EMT/AEMT/Paramedic.

Based on that and after poking around the Ventura LEMSA website, I believe they're looking for EMTs who meet the "EMT-ALSassist" requirments to staff an "ALS" ambulance.

www.vchca.org/emspolicies/0306_EMT_Requirements_to_Staff_and_ALS_Unit.sflb.ashx (PDF file).

You're best bet would be to contact the companies you're interested in.

VCEMT

Forum Captain
EMT's can no longer shock with the monitor. Lifeline, Gold Coast, AMR, and fire train you in-house. Lifeline, AMR, and fire will train you quickly, Gold Coast will... They will train you, when they feel you are ready to be trained. They have an elitist mentality when it comes to their operations and they will bite your head off. They are a pack of rabid wolves over there.

However, ALS assists have to know their :censored::censored::censored::censored:, last thing any medic wants is a dumbass that comes in for a paycheck. Assessment is BIG, essentially, you have to anticipate what the medic needs and know what the medic knows. Otherwise, go South of Ventura County and run dialysis calls all day.

That's what I expect, what was expected of me when I was an EMT, and what is expected.