EMT-D resources?

DigDugDude

Forum Crew Member
Anyone know anything about training or licenses or requirements for 911 dispatchers?

i did some googling and really cant find much, all i seem to get back is indeed/career builder/salary job sites like that.

i am really looking for solid information on what types of schooling or licenses are needed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated guys!

-DigDugDude

OP
OP
D

DigDugDude

Forum Crew Member
oh righton

thanks! yah ive heard from some you need your EMTB others you need EMTB plus another special phone license and im just a little confused on the whole subject seeing as how ive never once met a dispatcher i got a few questions for them.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
They require EMT-Intermediate or Paramedic to be considered for employment at my agency to be a dispatcher and prefer EMD (Emergency Medical Dispatcher) training too but it's not required, if don't have it they will send you through training. If you can get it easily there's no reason to not get ahead of the game and make yourself more marketable, just my 0.02.

With that said any new hires associated with the Ops Department such as VSTs are required to have at least EMT-B prior to hire.

thenextebell2

Forum Probie
911 dispatchers

Here the only requirements for getting hired are that you can provide a certified typing certificate stating you can type 35wpm or greater. Other than that, anyone can apply.

The hiring process then involves a computer based, job-specific (sort of) test called the criti-call test. Have to score very highly (usually 95% or above) to get an interview. Then oral board interview, and if selected you are put through a background investigation, medical, and psych exam.

Once hired, you go through EMD (emergency medical dispatching) class, and you end up as a certified EMD dispatcher. All other training is on the job, no other certs obtained or required.

Obviously each County/department is different. Good luck.

Edit: also, EMT-D in this county is what the FF's and EMT-B's (on ambulances) get certified as... EMT-Defibrillator...basically meaning they are trained to use the LP12's. dispatchers are just PSDs (Public Safety Dispatchers.

Last edited by a moderator: