EMT courses in FL

Altair1017

Forum Ride Along
Hello everyone, I am new to the site and EMS field and I was hoping I could get a few questions answered.

1.) Do any of you know anything about Rescue Training Inc (RTI) Orlando? I am planning on taking my EMT-B course there. I know how important where you get your certification is in not only getting a good EMT job but also being a good EMS provider. I live in central Florida.

2.) I am only 19 years old and do not have any college courses. I do however have 2 years experience as a lifeguard and hold current AHA BLS and ACLS certs. The ACLS is a long story, I know it's way outside my scope of practice but I read the book cover to cover and scored a 94% (I know that doesn't really mean much.) Anyway though, will it hurt me not having college courses? I have a very rudimentary knowledge of A&P and did well in high school. I also plan on taking A&P and pathophysiology courses after I get my EMT.

3.) I do plan on getting my medic after 6 months or so on the job as an EMT. And one day hope to be a fire medic on a tech rescue squad. Not trying to get ahead of myself just stating my goals. Basically any advice on career progression planning would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all for your time.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
College courses are not a prerequisite for EMT basic. But as you know, you'll benefit from anatomy and physiology, English composition and the other general education courses that come with a college education.

I can't comment on the course or facility where you're taking your EMT program, as I'm not familiar. However, EMT is a set, defined curriculum and mostly all facilities will teach to the standard.

Congratulations on setting your goals, good luck in your future endeavors and let us know how it goes

Pavehawk

Forum Lieutenant
If you're going to go private I would try Orlando Medical Institute, they have a good reputation and some great instructors. Also look at Valencia and Seminole State. Good luck.

OP
OP
A

Altair1017

Forum Ride Along
Understood, thank you both for your replies. I contacted RTI Orlando and spoke with one of the instructors and I think I'm going to take my EMT-B course there. I've heard a few really good things about them and apparently they do multiple contracts for the DOD. Depending on how it goes I will re-evaluate on where I take my Medic course. I will definetly check out Orlando Medical institute and the other schools you mentioned. My Medic course I'll only take at the very best venue. I'm hoping RTI will be great. I was hoping someone on the board could vouch for them.

Also I figured I'd ask here instead of creating a new thread. I'd really like to work for a high speed service, I want to one day be the EMT or Medic who people can rely on to handle the worst calls and save the life that maybe no one else can. Now I know most calls aren't like that, most are non-emergent calls. But where is the best opportunity to deal with the highest volume of intense calls?

Lastly as a newbie with no experience how can I give myself the best possible chance to get that job? Get top of my class, take an EVOC, have a squared away interview process and rèsume etc? I'm so excited to start my course, I'm really looking forward to learning everything I possibly can. And I'm even more excited to begin working as an EMT.

Thank you all again.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Also I figured I'd ask here instead of creating a new thread. I'd really like to work for a high speed service, I want to one day be the EMT or Medic who people can rely on to handle the worst calls and save the life that maybe no one else can. Now I know most calls aren't like that, most are non-emergent calls. But where is the best opportunity to deal with the highest volume of intense calls?

Not to burst your bubble, but there's going to be a bit of an EMS reality check coming your way. I admire your enthusiasm, but none of us "save a life no one else could have saved." The rare true "saves" happen when a plan comes together, people are in the right place at the right time, and the stars align.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I've heard a few really good things about them and apparently they do multiple contracts for the DOD.

This part....Since you asked for advice I will give mine as I do not deal in BS and there is plenty of it when a sale is to be made. Remember, these schools are for profit, the instructors need job security and that means students are required.

Having said that...

Who and where did you hear good things about them from?

What are these good things you heard?

What DoD contract/s?

Any reputable school will not only let you speak to instructors, they will put you in touch with current students and past graduates. The latter two are fairly important in making a decision, especially when it is YOUR money and time being debated along with performance, hire-ability, etc after you graduate.

If they have DoD contracts, what are they doing and where? This is public information and should be freely shared. You can even check their rating as a contractor.

I am in the DoD contracting world, I gladly provide my contract numbers and CO for references when needed.

Caveat Emptor....always.

OP
OP
A

Altair1017

Forum Ride Along
That did burst my bubble!! Lol. No, I expected that answer, I just want to work for a service with the highest amount of intense calls, whether that means a big city, wilderness EMT, an ED EMT/Medic etc? Again though I understand theses calls are few and far between but when they happen I want to, one day, be the one on scene.

Akflightmedic, yes sir I appreciate the up-front response. I've heard that they're EMT-T program is top notch. Most of their contracts are dealing with that course. The DoD, DHS, Border Patrol and other law enforcement agencies are all listed on the website. They teach quite a few additional courses too PHTLS, ACLS, PALS, EMT-T. They seem to be very well funded, they have their headquarters in GA, and just opened the school in FL a few years ago. As I said, I may look for a new place to take my medic, but for now I'm looking forward to the EMT course at RTI.

Thank you all for the replies.

Last edited by a moderator: