EMT Certification Worries

crowens04

Forum Ride Along
Hi Everyone,

As you can tell, this is my first time posting on this site. I am currently taking a course to become a certified EMT-B. I really enjoy the class, but when I was filling out some paperwork I became a bit worried. To cut to the point, in December of 2008 I was convicted of 4 misdemeanor drug possession charges. I had 4 different types of pills on me. 3 were Schedule IV and one was schedule III. It was dumb of me, I know. I was self medicating and it was a low point in my life. I plead guilty to all counts. It was all considered to be one case. This was over 3 years ago, and were my first and only charges. This happened in the state of Ohio, also where I'm attending school. I talked to someone about having them expunged, and it sounds likely that I can. I did what the judge wanted, completed probation, paid my fines etc.

I have been clean and sober since then, and haven't had any similar charges, or anything other than a traffic violation in over 3 years. My instructor told me not to worry, but I'm obviously worried. I put all this down on my paperwork and was totally honest. The paperwork asked me to put down anything besides a traffic violation, even if the charges were expunged.

So basically, I'm not sure where to go from here. Should I work on getting them expunged even after admitting to everything? Is my past going to come back to haunt me and am I just screwed?

I've done a lot to turn my life around and I'm actually a very trustworthy person these days. Any and all advice is appreciated. My long time girlfriend is 10 weeks pregnant as of today, so I'm really trying to secure my family with a decent future. (btw, when they say birth control is only 99% effective, they aren't kidding). :p It's a good thing though we're both excited. I'm just overly concerned about this situation if I haven't made that obvious yet lol.

Thanks again.

m0nster986

B.S, Paramedic, FF
Things like this are evaluated on an individual basis. But to give you an idea, people have trouble getting hired with just a DUI on their record...

OP
OP
C

crowens04

Forum Ride Along
Well as far as the actual job situation goes, the expungement process will take about 4-6 weeks. I'm having it expunged either way. My main concern is whether or not they will allow me to be licensed in the first place. Thank you for the response though!

caliboosted

Forum Crew Member
Best advice I can give you is wait for everything to be expunged then apply for your license. Make sure you read the fine print very clear on the application. For example a conviction in CA is a conviction regardless of it being expunged. Be honest, your much more likely to get somewhere with that than to lie. As mentioned before it is taken case by case, try not to lose too much sleep over it though, I've known many people who worried themselves sick, what's done is done. Best of luck to you, keep up the good work and you will make a great dad and family member.

OP
OP
C

crowens04

Forum Ride Along
Thanks for the kind words Cali. My course will go from now til June. By June, the expungement process should well have been completed by then. If it comes down to it, hopefully pleading my case will suffice. After the charges, I've since worked as a Residential Supervisor at a drug and alcohol rehabilitation center. Maybe that will reinforce my dedication to my current lifestyle. I guess at this point, the best anyone can do is speculate. Something I'm entirely too good at! Thanks again!

OP
OP
C

crowens04

Forum Ride Along
I called around today. The NREMT said they are only concerned with felonies. I called the Ohio Board of EMTs and they said at worse, I might have to jump through a couple loops, given the nature of the charges. But he doubted even that would be necessary. As far as future employment, my charges will be dust in the wind after expungement is completed. As of now, all is looking up.

Thanks again to those who replied! And hopefully I'll be posting on this board later on for more positive reasons.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Definitely get it expunged. Ask your lawyer if you have to answer 'yes' to the conviction question even if it asks about expungement. Do what your lawyer says.

CBentz12

Forum Crew Member
Iva had a case expunged and nothing as ever showed up and Im currently Nationally and State certified. After you get it expunged there will be no records in your file of that case number so you have nothing to worry about. You will be able to answer No to the "Have you ever been arrested before" questions so I think you have nothing to worry about.

nwhitney

Forum Captain
Well I don't have much to add as everyone has said what I would. I will add that even though something is expunged doesn't mean that it has gone away and future employers can't see it. Good luck and congrats on the baby.

MedicBrew

Forum Lieutenant
Definitely get it expunged. Ask your lawyer if you have to answer 'yes' to the conviction question even if it asks about expungement. Do what your lawyer says.

Excellent advise.

(btw, when they say birth control is only 99% effective, they aren't kidding). Thanks again.

I know exactly what you mean, but I have an awesome 2 y/o that can eat his weight in groceries so I can't complain. Congrats!!

I’ve seen people turn around and make a good life for themselves after things like this. Get your record cleared up and you should be ok.

Good luck!!