EMT-B's that pass the test amaze me..

OP
OP
VirginiaEMT

VirginiaEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Nope, EMT-Basics cannot give Glucagon in VA. I think he means Glutose, in which case "1 tube" is a perfectly reasonable answer.

As long as you document "Glutose" instead of "glucagon" on your PPCR.

While we're at it, glucagon comes in units of 1 mg. You can document 1 unit or 1 mg on your PPCR, which further makes the first answer not completely ridiculous.

And a pulse of 84 in both arms? Wow. I usually keep 42 on each side. :)

WRONG!! I can give Glucagon IM for hypoglycemia (standing orders)... My local protocols allow it,along with 12 leads, King airway, Epipen ( not the patients,standing orders), among other things. Good try though!!! And YES InstaGlucose come in a tube..

FROM OUR PROTOCOLS

Notes:
[EMT] Only EMTs who have completed training through a CSEMS local protocol course are authorized to give glucagon.
Glucagon may be given to reverse effects of beta-blocker drug overdoses. A significant dose is needed to be effective, usually 3 to 10 mg IV bolus followed by a 2 to 5 mg/h infusion).

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
VirginiaEMT

VirginiaEMT

Forum Lieutenant
It amazes me how many EMTs feel they have a right to demean and criticize their coworkers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still doesn't change the fact that there are some ignorant people coming out of EMT-B classes. Not referring to everybody, just those who have just enough sense to barely make it in the world.

EMS is a world where peoples lives are at stake. This is not learning the register at Taco Bell or Burger King where a mistake may cost somebody there pickles.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
WRONG!! I can give Glucagon IM for hypoglycemia (standing orders)... My local protocols allow it,along with 12 leads, King airway, Epipen ( not the patients,standing orders), among other things. Good try though!!! And YES InstaGlucose come in a tube..

FROM OUR PROTOCOLS

Notes:
[EMT] Only EMTs who have completed training through a CSEMS local protocol course are authorized to give glucagon.
Glucagon may be given to reverse effects of beta-blocker drug overdoses. A significant dose is needed to be effective, usually 3 to 10 mg IV bolus followed by a 2 to 5 mg/h infusion).

Sorry, I had forgotten that Dr Brand had moved out that way. He was a very progressive OMD when he was ours some time ago.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
First of all, I am an EMT-B... I continue to be amazed at the quality of people who pass the EMT-B exam. This is not a reference about every EMT-B because I know there are good ones too. I thought the test was easy but over the last few weeks I have run calls with some people that should never be near a patient. Here are a couple of examples.

1. I asked an EMT-B what the proper dosage is for Glucagon and he said "1 tube", and he just finished his local protocol class.

2. Last night I read the narrative for a call that we had just been on and it started with the word "acsodintly". I'll let you figure that one out.

3. I was on a call last week when I was told that a patients pulse rate was 60 when it was actually 84 in both arms.

And in 2 years, I have never seen and EMT-B actually read their textbook or any other book pertaining to pre-hospital care, after the graduated from EMT-B class.

People make mistakes. Instead of belittling out your coworkers in an anonymous forum, maybe consider taking the high road and turn these into teachable moments. Remind you're coworkers that run reports are legal documents, and that their credibility could be at stake. I've gotta admit, I've made some pretty stupid grammar errors when I'm behind on my narratives and am trying to catch up. Honest mistakes happen, and I appreciate when my partner lets me know that I keep replacing "due to" with "do to."

With the pulses, there is no excuse for making up vital signs, but instead of belittling the guy, give him reasons why that's not acceptable, and maybe ask yourself, "Am I too intimidating during calls to the point that my partner is afraid to admit that he cannot get the vitals?" Sometimes it takes a different set of hands or ears.

As for the textbook...you won't find me reading it on shift since I don't want to carry that heavy POS around that I already read once. I can further my knowledge in other ways, thank you very much.

mike1390

Forum Captain
Still doesn't change the fact that there are some ignorant people coming out of EMT-B classes. Not referring to everybody, just those who have just enough sense to barely make it in the world.

EMS is a world where peoples lives are at stake. This is not learning the register at Taco Bell or Burger King where a mistake may cost somebody there pickles.

<_< right. Its called a BASIC class for a reason. The glucagon thing is just silly.
who cares? Its a pretty idiot proof drug mix the clear stuff into the powder stuff then inject. Your always going to give the full 1mg(unless its a ped in which you have a broslow for) so unless I was grading a test I would accept the "1 tube" answer...As far as the EPIpen is concerned un-cap stick in leg hold for 10 sec, easy enough.

side note: I did some research on your previous threads started @EMTlife, it sounds like you were very new once also.

Just sayin.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
<_< right. Its called a BASIC class for a reason. The glucagon thing is just silly.
who cares? Its a pretty idiot proof drug mix the clear stuff into the powder stuff then inject. Your always going to give the full 1mg(unless its a ped in which you have a broslow for) so unless I was grading a test I would accept the "1 tube" answer...As far as the EPIpen is concerned un-cap stick in leg hold for 10 sec, easy enough.

Glad to see you have high expectations.

Very simply, if your giving a med, you should know the dose. Telling the recieving nurse "one tube" is a surefire way to get branded as an idiot. Why does that bother me? Because I get branded by association.

The basic course in no way qualifies one to be an independent provider in anyone but EMS's eyes. There's ALOT of great basics out there. Not one of them stopped learning after class. All of them I know are able to at least give a report using correct terminology.

Anyone who wants to whine about low pay needs to look at this kind of stuff first. Why do we rate more pay if it's a manual labor job anyone can do?

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
As for the textbook...you won't find me reading it on shift since I don't want to carry that heavy POS around that I already read once. I can further my knowledge in other ways, thank you very much.
The EMT text book is pretty effing useless once your out of class anyway. I reccomend nursing and medical text. Many of which are available via e-reader. Be careful taking what's on the web as gospel.

joeshmoe

Forum Lieutenant
One thing that stands out in my mind about some new EMTs is how lazy and whiney some are.

I worked as a CNA, and the conditions we had to put up with and amount of work we had to do was totally insane for the money we made, and it was a totally thankless job, yet nobody really complained. In EMS you get some new EMTs who expect the job to be glamorous, and seem to think they are above doing some tasks and deserve a medal just for doing their job.

Dougy

Forum Probie
There was an EMT i know who said that she got lost so easily whilst driving to hospitals, or anywhere for that matter, that if she pulled into a parking lot, made a U turn, and came back to pull back out.. she would not know where she came from.. ZOINKS.

emt junkie

Forum Probie
One thing that stands out in my mind about some new EMTs is how lazy and whiney some are.

I worked as a CNA, and the conditions we had to put up with and amount of work we had to do was totally insane for the money we made, and it was a totally thankless job, yet nobody really complained. In EMS you get some new EMTs who expect the job to be glamorous, and seem to think they are above doing some tasks and deserve a medal just for doing their job.

I know Alot of medics that that have the same problem so just don't hold it to basics. As a matter of fact this seems to be a Basic smashing thread and everything in this thread can be said about ALOT of medics as well!!!!

Sasha

Forum Chief

That's because there is no shows glamorizing the life of a CNA, and I doubt the instructors make any bones about what exactly you will be doing. (And just as a side note, here the CNAs get paid more than an EMT.)

Any medical drama sets up EMTs and Paramedics to think that they are going to be heros always rushing off to a life or death emergency. Instructors try to make it more interesting and make themselves seem more impressive.

So an EMT or Paramedic gets out, expects to be working two codes a day, coupled with a few car crashes where they pull the kids out and save their lives. They find themselves working more toe pain and "my script ran out." and also find that they are NOT life savers and their actions are often futile with occasional exceptions.

They're not happy with what their job REALLY entails but after all the time, money and effort can't just abandon their jobs for something they would find more fufilling.

That doesn't happen with CNAs. You know you're going to be helping patients eat, toilet, dress and get into their wheelchairs. No one ever sets you up for the expectation that your job will be action packed and heroic.

Sasha

Forum Chief
I know Alot of medics that that have the same problem so just don't hold it to basics. As a matter of fact this seems to be a Basic smashing thread and everything in this thread can be said about ALOT of medics as well!!!!

I don't think it was EMT bashing. the person you quoted is an EMT.

Elk Oil

Forum Crew Member
People make mistakes. Instead of belittling out your coworkers in an anonymous forum, maybe consider taking the high road and turn these into teachable moments. Remind you're coworkers that run reports are legal documents, and that their credibility could be at stake. I've gotta admit, I've made some pretty stupid grammar errors when I'm behind on my narratives and am trying to catch up. Honest mistakes happen, and I appreciate when my partner lets me know that I keep replacing "due to" with "do to."

With the pulses, there is no excuse for making up vital signs, but instead of belittling the guy, give him reasons why that's not acceptable, and maybe ask yourself, "Am I too intimidating during calls to the point that my partner is afraid to admit that he cannot get the vitals?" Sometimes it takes a different set of hands or ears.

Agreed. Our service has a field training program for all new members. We use it as a way to mentor and help probationary members improve their skills. The one thing we don't want to lose sight of is that we have all been new, lacked some confidence or needed a helping hand. The bottom line is, our service wants to create an environment that makes it okay to admit you need help, then offer that help. Part of the manual we give to new members offers tips for success:

"Good EMTs aren’t afraid to jump right in, yet they also know how to work effectively with their teammates and know how they fit in with the flow of a call. They are confident in their decisions yet ask others for help if they want other opinions during a complicated incident, aren’t able to hear lung sounds, can’t obtain a blood pressure, have difficulty evaluating mental status, or are simply unsure of something they’re hearing or seeing."

We've got Intermediates and medics who ask basics to double check their lung sounds and vitals. It's all part of creating a team atmosphere and letting each other know none of us are above needing a hand every now and then.

Anthony7994

Forum Crew Member
And in 2 years, I have never seen and EMT-B actually read their textbook or any other book pertaining to pre-hospital care, after the graduated from EMT-B class.

It's amazing, I know...pretty sad. :huh:

Anthony7994

Forum Crew Member

And I've seen some CNAs who thought they were above all as well...I can't tell you how many times we've walked into nursing homes with a guppy breathing, respiratory distress patient on 2L/m via cannula...or even worse, when they have it on 6L/m via NB. :/

It happens among every career. There's always people who give the rest of us a bad name, and take the job only because they want to be looked at as "heroes". It's a shame, but that's the way it is and it takes the rest of us to help them correct it, or get them the hell out.

brandonaemt

Forum Ride Along
I still read through my EMT-Basic book and I always cary my EMT-Basic Informed Pocket Guide with me. You can never remember everything, so it's nice to always have a reference on hand when you need.

CheifBud

Forum Crew Member
I think you have proven that once a post goes past 2 or so pages it turns into a rant. What answer, or point, or enlightenment are you bringing us? Then eventually people start to complain about people complaining, so now, I have to complain about people complaining about people complaining....

I feel your pain, not everyone is created equal. We understand this crazy new concept you bring to the table. There are people that preform sub par in every profession from a janitor to.... the president! Complaining about a few EMTs does nothing.... I mean really, what are we trying to accomplish or is this just to bash a few people that will never read this thread since as you said they do little to no outside learning?

Now if you have a question, an idea/proposal, scenario, ect. you want to run by us we can help. Other than that I just don't know what you want/expect from this post....

As per the OP, I am not surprised at all how many PASS the test, its trivial. I am however surprised at how many remain employed for any period of time as an EMT.

Wisconsin Basic gets to admin. IM Glucagon. Woot wooooh! :rolleyes:

mct601

RN/NRP
Some of this can be chalked up to the classes. It seems to me the classes are focused more on registry than it is on cultivating competent entry level EMTs. Once the newcomer gets into the field, he/she has a steep learning curve. Personally I think the EMT level as a whole needs to be revamped, and hopefully with that, weeding out those who do not belong in our field.

So basically, I do agree with the OP in a sense. We are supposed to be knowledgeable role models in the community, and while a new Basic isn't going to be Einstein, it seems so many might as well have just been "drivers" and went from there. While he may be venting about this on a forum, there's really no need to belittle him for doing it. We come here to vent for all kinds of issues, no need to chastise him for pointing out something that many are noticing to be a plague.

As far as reading the EMT book, I read it a little between passing registry and my first job- but it really is worthless. I get way more out of reading peer reviewed text on the internet and sitting in on ALS level classes/refreshers at my employer's education center.

starkel

Forum Ride Along
I agree that instead of whining at what your partner is doing wrong that maybe you should be helping him/her out. This will not only serve him to better himself as an EMT it will also help you as a person. Negativity will get you nowhere. Didn't you get into this field to help people, who better to help than your partner?