EMT-Basic to Paramedic????

MotorMedic

Forum Ride Along
Hello everyone, I have been a lurker for awhile now but I need to get your collective input. I finished my EMT-Basic course last June and I am licensed in the State of Wisconsin and registered with NREMT. I looked for work but could not find much so I am stuck with my old career for right now. My question to you all is should I go to school in the fall for paramedic or should I try and wait to see if any basic jobs come out? I did well in my basic class and really enjoyed it but got pretty nervous about getting a job. I have read you guys say it happens and it usually goes away after you start working but I just dont know if I am going to like it or not. What should I expect in a Paramedic class that might not be true about the basic course?

FYI, I do not do well with getting stuck with needles, I usually end up with vasodilation and end up horizontal if I dont start that way....you know syncope.:blush:

Thanks guys and gals!

Rykielz

Forum Lieutenant
I would not recommend you go to paramedic school before you've worked as an EMT-Basic first, running 9-1-1 until you feel completely solid in your skills. This includes being able to anticipate what the medic will do on calls. I'm not saying it can't be done, it has. But you'll have a sound foundation to fall back on when medic school (especially the internship) gets rough. To compare, I aced my EMT course by reading an hour on weeknights and listening during class. Medic school I was 6-8 hours studying every night for 6 months solid. I'll be honest and say I was burnt and a walking zombie after the second week. But that's not even the hard part, my field internship was 24 hour shift hell for 2 months. You will be put through the ringer too I'm sure when you go.

As far as getting a job, it's difficult in certain parts of the country no matter if you're an EMT or a medic. Ultimately it's going to come down to how badly do you want it? Are you willing to do whatever it takes to achieve your dream? Keep plugging away and eventually the door will open.

Last edited by a moderator: