EMT-B vs Being a Nursing Home CNA

futureemtbasic

Forum Ride Along
Hi,

I started taking an interest in EMS around 10th grade. I always wanted to be a nurse though but as i started looking into EMS it just seemed more interesting to me. I was contplempating taking the EMT-B class this summer, but i was told because i wouldnt yet be 18 years of age by the NREMT Test date i couldnt. So instead i settled for a CNA class this summer. I am now finished the class and am now a CNA, and i love some aspects of the job, but others i absolutely hate. To me its all big gossip, lets see how little we can do to help people and get away with it, and i feel like i have no medical knowledge at all. The nurses wont listen when we reprot to them its just a big mess if you ask me!! I guess im just looking for something more serious, more professional, and something where i could use more medical skills to help people. In the end, i know i just settled for the Nursing Aide class because EMT was unavailable to me!! Strongly thinking about ditching practical nursing this fall and pursuing the EMT-Basic course in August. I just feel that i would be so much happier in EMS Not to mention the pay here is alot beterr as CNAs make between 14,000-19,000 anually and EMT-Bs make between 26,000-30000 anually for private ambulance. I just feel that Nursing (sometimes) is a big war between co workers and its just crazy, im a male and im just interested in doing my work and helping people, and i feel that i can better do that in EMS!! ANY ADVICE:D??

Hunter

Forum Asst. Chief
As an EMTB nurses will ignore most of what you say. At private companies people will talk like if out was high school. You will have some medical skills, you won't have as many as you would like. You may help people you may also learn to hate other people. I love my job as an EMT, but there's things I don't like about it also. I don't wamna discourage you but I also wanna be honest.

bahnrokt

Forum Lieutenant
I love working on the road on an ambulance. Everyday you are transporting different people and even if all you do is IFTs you rarely need to experience any 1 person other than your partner for longer than 15 minutes. At this point the idea of being assigned to a floor and being told when you can eat, smoke and see sunlight sounds like prison to me.

If your going to make a carear out of it, plan on going to medic school. Maybe think about getting a degree in business admin or similar if you want to move into management at some point.

Last edited by a moderator:

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
Hi,

I started taking an interest in EMS around 10th grade.
I always wanted to be a nurse though but as i started looking into EMS it just seemed more interesting to me.
I guess im just looking for something more serious, more professional, and something where i could use more medical skills to help people.
In the end, I just feel that i would be so much happier in EMS
I just feel that Nursing (sometimes) is a big war between co workers and its just crazy,
im a male and im just interested in doing my work and helping people, and i feel that i can better do that in EMS!!

Sounds to me like you know what you're doing!

Cordis

Forum Ride Along
Caution!

It is important to remember, any time humans are working together, that personalities will clash. This is as true in EMS as anywhere else.

EMS is a family yes, and it includes domestic abuse and drama. Stay under the radar, keep your mouth shut, mind your own business, and just worry about your responsibilities without going overboard.

Yeah you deal with smelly and angry people, but there are a few people that will actually need your help here and there.

I'm going for my medic soon, and my skills have come in handy in certain situations. EMT training can't hurt anybody.

MusicMedic

Forum Captain
im currently an EMT (for 2 years), im going to be hopefully starting nursing school in the spring

I currently work as an operator at a hospital and lemme tell you, nurses wont listen to anyone unless its a Doctor.
being an EMT you will get really comfortable taking vitals and being around patients which will help you significantly when pursing nursing
id say go take the EMT class, while your working as an EMT, finish your nursing pre-reqs as soon as possible (Anatomy, Physio and Micro and Chemistry) then apply to Nursing school and get your RN

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
How about get your EMT, work that for money part time as you get your loans and then get your full fledged nursing degree?

If I could put Post-it Note (tm) on the masthead for this website, it would read "EMT/Paramedic , LVN, and CNA are NOT steps up a professional ladder to decent wages".

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Unfortunately, he's right. For the vast majority of EMS workers, there's not really a good ladder to financial success within EMS.