EMT-B training

Achromatic

Forum Lieutenant
I had my first practical class with Thurston County today, in Washington. I have to give "mad props". A bunch of (mostly) paramedics and battalion chiefs from the county, who are, amongst other things, willing to take emetics and vomit on their class, subject themselves to the most awkward of initial first physical examinations, arrange for COPD patients with abnormal lung sounds to attend our classes anonymously and all other manner of humiliation and so on and so forth, all to ensure at least some EMTs have a full featured learning experience.

There is a world of difference between a practical station where the instructor says "Your PT has just vomited. What now?" and your "PT" just... vomiting.

JPINFV

Gadfly
I had my first practical class with Thurston County today, in Washington. I have to give "mad props". A bunch of (mostly) paramedics and battalion chiefs from the county, who are, amongst other things, willing to take emetics and vomit on their class, subject themselves to the most awkward of initial first physical examinations, arrange for COPD patients with abnormal lung sounds to attend our classes anonymously and all other manner of humiliation and so on and so forth, all to ensure at least some EMTs have a full featured learning experience.

You have what is, in essence, a standardized patient experience and standardized patient experiences run circles around practicing on your classmates.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
You have what is, in essence, a standardized patient experience and standardized patient experiences run circles around practicing on your classmates.
I totally agree. You might see a given illness while doing your observational time, but this way, you'll see it "live" and can get a chance to really appreciate what problems a patient can have... all in a structured way. You won't have to learn this the "hard way" in the field by encountering it the first time...

You're going to be FAR ahead of the assessment game when you graduate than those who simply had scenario testing...

These "Standardized Patients" really do make for a better learning experience. I'm OK with scenarios... but show me a real patient with the condition you'd otherwise be wanting to simulate, and I'll do pretty darned well...

JPINFV

Gadfly
I kinda of wonder how easy it would be to set up a simple standardized patient (SP) program using local theater groups or HS drama departments for the SPs (since the vast majority of EMS programs have neither the demand nor funding for a full blown SP program). Sure, you aren't going to get any interesting physical exam findings, but you need to know normal before abnormal anyways. At least with SPs, the acting is more genuine (especially since they lack medical training/education) plus you can get feedback on how the patient feels during the exam/history.

bunkie

Forum Asst. Chief

There is a world of difference between a practical station where the instructor says "Your PT has just vomited. What now?" and your "PT" just... vomiting.

Is it true you have to be sponsored to get into Thruston County's B program? Have a friend who lives in Olympia but is coming all the way up here for the course because she couldn't find any real info on Thurston.

OP
OP
A

Achromatic

Forum Lieutenant
Is it true you have to be sponsored to get into Thruston County's B program? Have a friend who lives in Olympia but is coming all the way up here for the course because she couldn't find any real info on Thurston.

Correct. The program is run by Medic One, and open to current FD employees/volunteers. Typically there are 30 spaces in each class. If there are more applicants, the results of the prerequisite AHA CPR exam will be used to select the top 30.

bunkie

Forum Asst. Chief
Correct. The program is run by Medic One, and open to current FD employees/volunteers. Typically there are 30 spaces in each class. If there are more applicants, the results of the prerequisite AHA CPR exam will be used to select the top 30.

Thanks! :) I will let her know. She's still suck with us anyway. :p

sojourner

Forum Probie
Don't totally agree

I don't know what first-timers obtain from being totally freaked out. Not sure what achieving 90+ percentile failure rate does to promote professionalism. As I look back, it seemed to be fun/funny for the ones perpetrating the hazing. I was dropped into a situation we hadn't trained for, as if I will go into every situation from now on knowing I might not be prepared... That's usually an everyday type of situation since once you have seen everything, you get knocked down from your horse again with something new. Actually I'm more afraid to be picked up by a medic who KNOWS what is going on, only to not be savvy enough to know what he's looking at isn't what he think he is. I've run into that with a number of doctors.

So shocking the EMT'ers in my estimation is nothing but a fun time for the higher-ups.