EMT-B Study guide

tatonka05

Forum Ride Along
Good morning,

After doing some research about study guides for the NREMT, I bought "EMT-Basic Review Manual for National Certification – American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS),, Stephen J. Rahm".

But it wasn't till I got home, that I realized that the info in it might be outdated by a few years. Should I still use this guide if it is based on the 1994 US DOT EMT-Basic National Standard Curriculum and 2005 Emergency Cardiac Care (ECC) guidelines for basic cardiac life support?

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
No. Not at all. One or two things have changed in the last 20 years.

J B

Forum Lieutenant
I would recommend just sticking with whatever materials you have available for now (your class textbook and the study guide you already bought). Buying more books is probably a waste of money.

One month out from your scheduled test date, get a 1-month subscription at one of the online practice test sites (I like emtprep.com). Doing actual practice problems is the best way to prepare yourself for the EMT-B test, imo. It's expensive but will make a big difference if you use it regularly.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
tatonka05

tatonka05

Forum Ride Along
Thanks. I'll look into that emtprep.com, I just need some thing that I can use that will provide question that are more like the questions that will be on the NREMT.
I don't want to hindered myself by using an out of date study guide.

J B

Forum Lieutenant
Thanks. I'll look into that emtprep.com, I just need some thing that I can use that will provide question that are more like the questions that will be on the NREMT.
I don't want to hindered myself by using an out of date study guide.

I thought the questions on emtprep were pretty similar to the NREMT questions. You'll also take the NREMT written on a computer, so you may feel a bit more comfortable in that way as well.

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
Best study guide out there in my opinion is the current DOT EMT-Basic Curriculum.

Search for "Emergency Medical Technician-Basic: National Standard Curriculum" - it's the nhtsa.gov link with the PDF file. Seriously, it has a lot of great information in it.

CFal

Forum Captain
Best study guide out there in my opinion is the current DOT EMT-Basic Curriculum.

Search for "Emergency Medical Technician-Basic: National Standard Curriculum" - it's the nhtsa.gov link with the PDF file. Seriously, it has a lot of great information in it.

The National Scope of Practice replaced the National Standard Curriculum