EMT-B Students!!!

sdemtb

Forum Crew Member
There's always going to be the ones that thought the class would be easy. I took the accelerated course through a community college that was M-F, 8AM-5PM for 3 weeks, skills testing the Saturday after the final. I think we only had 2 drops and 1 fail, other than that, everyone passed with at least an 800/1000.

RESQ_5_1

Forum Lieutenant
I noticed a few posts regarding the spleen, so I thought I would share. I'm not a student, but any information is helpful.

We were covering another area of our health region and got called to a 26A (sick person, non emerg response). Pt had 3 fractured ribs x 4 days. Pt was pale, diaphoretic and complaining of LUQ pain. Vitals O/A were: BP 106/64, Pulse 78 S/R, Resp 16 N/L, SPO2 not taken (due to equipment malfunction). Pt was ambulatory and moved himself to the stretcher. Tenderness noted to palpation of the LUQ (where the fractured ribs were). In the ambulance, Pts BP dropped to 84/40, Pulse of 76 S/R. Attempted 2 IV starts but was unsuccessful. Luckily, short transport time(<5 min). Vitals upon arrival at hospital were pretty much the same as when we got him in the ambulance. Hospital obtained an SPO2 of 95% on room air.

2 days later I was at the same hospital while my GF underwent minor surgery. I saw my Pt from that emerg call on the same floor (looking MUCH better). Turns out, he had ruptured his spleen in the incident he recieved his fractured ribs from. Hospital didn't see it, or possibly didn't look for it as it was probably masked by his rib pain. The day we took him in, he got a CT, had surgery, and recieved 3 units of blood.

The interesting thing is, my pt was going into hypovolemic shock and his heartrate remained normal the whole time. Pulse should have increased as BP dropped. So, just remember that not everything is textbook. I would have attempted more IV starts, but we had already arrived at the hospital.

jochi1543

Forum Captain
I wish we could peer drop folks. There are a bunch (yes a Bunch) in my class that just dont get it, and apparently have no respect for the class. Some of us are paying out of pocket, and want to get our monies worth.

LOL, tell me about it...couple of my classmates were actually immature enough to trash someone from the class on Facebook via comments on the class picture that everyone in the class (including the person) could see....unbelievable.:rolleyes:

Sasha

Forum Chief
LOL, tell me about it...couple of my classmates were actually immature enough to trash someone from the class on Facebook via comments on the class picture that everyone in the class (including the person) could see....unbelievable.:rolleyes:

I think students should be banned from giving other people in class their face books, myspaces, livejournals, photobuckets, etc.

We had a whole lesbian myspace scandal pop up. Two girls posting on thier myspace about their "study groups" and then when someone makes a refrence to them being... together...they freak out and tell them that they're closed minded to think just because they're lesbians, they're doing eachother... yet when they post it all up on their myspace to see....

jochi1543

Forum Captain
I think students should be banned from giving other people in class their face books, myspaces, livejournals, photobuckets, etc.

Our practicum coordinator actually added all of us to her Facebook. I couldn't very well not approve her request, so I did, to be polite, but have since quietly deleted her, since I like to keep my Facebook for real friends and not coworkers/supervisors/subordinates/teachers unless I can honestly say they are my close friend.

KempoEMT

Forum Lieutenant
We just went thru neurological, respiratory and cardiac emergencies. Only problem is we go through those chapters so fast.

OP
OP
EMTCop86

EMTCop86

Forum Captain
So as president what do you plan on doing?

Well so far I have gotten on everyone's case about their uniforms. People not showing up in them or not tucking in shirts, stuff like that. That is about all I do. My instructor said he will really need my help with over the side but other then that just make sure everyone is in uniform and not acting like a retard. We have a bunch of 18 y/o boys that sit in the back corner that I have to keep reminding to shut the heck up.

OP
OP
EMTCop86

EMTCop86

Forum Captain
So yea had my CPR class this weekend. Got 100% on the test, it wasn't hard, but we did have a couple of people fail it. My knees are bruised from crawling around on the cement for two days and my boots are all scuffed up but I managed to get through it and got my card.

Sasha

Forum Chief
I never got the point of in class uniforms. Really. If someone can't dress themselves appropriately for class then they have no business in EMS, it's a skill that's not hard to manage. But in class uniforms, especially tucked in shirts, is a bit on the extreme. Why? What is the point? If you are out in public or on a clinical or ride, I can understand but to just sit in a classroom for lecture?

We have a polo we are supposed to wear in class and for rides. We have to buy them and one polo alone is $42.84 with tax. Do you know how quick those wear out having to wash them pretty much every night? How much that runs up the water bill? It's ridiculous.

OP
OP
EMTCop86

EMTCop86

Forum Captain
I never got the point of in class uniforms. Really. If someone can't dress themselves appropriately for class then they have no business in EMS, it's a skill that's not hard to manage. But in class uniforms, especially tucked in shirts, is a bit on the extreme. Why? What is the point? If you are out in public or on a clinical or ride, I can understand but to just sit in a classroom for lecture?

We have a polo we are supposed to wear in class and for rides. We have to buy them and one polo alone is $42.84 with tax. Do you know how quick those wear out having to wash them pretty much every night? How much that runs up the water bill? It's ridiculous.

I like the idea of class uniforms. IMO it brings the class together and makes us look professional. For our class we do 4 hours of lecture and 4 hours of lab. During those 4 hours of lab we are all over campus so with the uniforms it distinguishes us from the rest of the school.

42.84 for a polo is absolutely ridiculous I have never heard of that before. Our polos are only 12 bucks.

Sasha

Forum Chief
42.84 for a polo is absolutely ridiculous I have never heard of that before. Our polos are only 12 bucks.

That's what we said. Their argument is "They're really durable!" Which is actually true. Mine lasted from January of last year til about a week ago. Once it ripped though it was a pain in the @ss trying to get another one, I still haven't gotten my own and am borrowing a student who is much larger than me's spare polo and I look like a blimp who sprung a hole.

jochi1543

Forum Captain
Man, so I had 4 calls on Friday, the 13th, and not a single one since! That brings me to a total of 5 calls in 5+ days...this practicum is gonna take forever if it doesn't pick up. I have to do at least 25 calls, but they also gotta include 2 peds, and some other fairly specific stuff, so it's fair to expect that I'll have to do more than 25.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Man, so I had 4 calls on Friday, the 13th, and not a single one since! That brings me to a total of 5 calls in 5+ days...this practicum is gonna take forever if it doesn't pick up. I have to do at least 25 calls, but they also gotta include 2 peds, and some other fairly specific stuff, so it's fair to expect that I'll have to do more than 25.

Try having about a month to get four more live intubations and a child birth!

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
Try having about a month to get four more live intubations and a child birth!

Are you allowed to go to the OR to do your intubations? That's what we do if we don't get enough in the field. We also go to OB if we're short on babies.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Are you allowed to go to the OR to do your intubations? That's what we do if we don't get enough in the field. We also go to OB if we're short on babies.

Nope, unfortunately! I would LOVE to do an OR and OB rotation.

I almost got another live intubation yesterday but the RT student took precedence, as it should be!

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
I almost got another live intubation yesterday but the RT student took precedence, as it should be!
No, it shouldn't be. RTs are going to be in their field for quite awhile before they are called on to perform unassisted, unsupervised intubations, if ever. And their practice is in the clinical environment, where there is ample opportunity for such practice. You, on the other hand, will have to be prepared from your very first shift to do it, do it unassisted and unsupervised, and do it right the first time. I have no problem with RTs. I used to be one. But your training should very definitely take preference. Perhaps if you were less accommodating and more aggressive?

jochi1543

Forum Captain
God, this practicum is going way too slow...Only 7 calls in 8 days! I'm pretty anxious for my 4-day break next week, hopefully I'll be at least halfway through by then.

dslprod

Forum Crew Member
finally finished my basics course on valentines day. waiting for the NREMT authorization to Test # is driving me nuts ! its only been a day too Lol

OP
OP
EMTCop86

EMTCop86

Forum Captain
Sweet no more weekend classes!!!! We did blood borne pathogens on 2-8, CPR on 2-14 and 2-15, and we just finished hazmat today 2-21! So yea now I get to stress about midterm which is gonna be on 3-6. We shall see how many remain out of 38 after midterm is done.

kymtgpro

Forum Probie
First day in class

Today was my first day in class. A twelve week course w/ four hour weekday classes and eight hour weekend. Started with CPR. We are using the Brady 11th edition emergency care. Looking forward to future classes. One of the assistant instructors said he went directly into medic class after basic. kinda got me thinking....