EMT-B in Minnesota

missrosy

Forum Ride Along
Hi! I'm an EMT-B in New York State (so, I am not part of the National Registry). I took my course last fall (2013) and I am currently employed by a private company. Long story short, I'm planning on moving to Minnesota asap (def. by July 2014) and I need to figure out how to get my license to practice out there. Obviously, the thing I've got now, issued by the State of NY isn't going to cut any cheese in MN. Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Specifically: what kind of certification do I need in MN and how do I go about getting it. Thanks so much! :)

rugrat

Forum Crew Member
Most company's that I have applied for want the NREMT and EMSRB (the MN state license)

For practicing in MN maybe you should take the NREMT test (not sure if you took that for your NY cert?) it is like $70 if I remember right and you can get your EMSRB and NREMT if you pass (which would probably be pretty easy for you.

If I remember correctly yiou up to a year or two after you complete your course to take the NREMT...

Not sure if that helped at all...
Maybe another MN resident can chime and give some better info..

What area are you planning on moving to if you don't mind me asking?

OP
OP
missrosy

missrosy

Forum Ride Along
That does help. It's what I was thinking of doing, so confirmation that I'm not as illogical as I thought I was is nice. :) I'm hoping to move to the MN / St. Paul area, mostly because I have friends there, but I'm pretty flexible. Any info on the job market out there?

rugrat

Forum Crew Member
Well I live in in Minneapolis at the moment, but am trying to get a job in St. Paul.

There are a few company's that hire EMT's of which I am hopefully gettong a job at. They have openings every few months and seem like pretty solid places to work... As far as private company's I don't know too much (but would be open to knowing more :unsure:;) )

It is common for hospitals to hire EMT's as ER Techs.. Over in St. Paul is Regions (which is a level I Trauma center) the people are super nice over there... if I can't find any ambulance job I might just end up working there as atleast they get a lot of action...

I will say I have had a semi difficult time finding a job (still haven't found one yet) I graduated last august and got my certs in September.
1. Unlike you I have no experience yet.
2. I don't know anybody (it seems to me knowing someone helps getting a job.
3. It seems to be hard to find a job in the MSP area right now...

I know out in rural MN they are hiring EMT's fairly often... I am working on BA degree though sooo... for me that isn't an option right now.

As far as the ambulance companies that hire every few months it might not hurt to get in contact with the HR people?

-=-=-==

If I remember correctly you apply at the EMSRB (http://www.emsrb.state.mn.us/) before taking your NREMT.
You can then choose a testing location for your NREMT.
Take it and of course pass and both of them will be considered effective on the sameday.

Hope that helps :)
Rugrat

OP
OP
missrosy

missrosy

Forum Ride Along
I do know some people so hopefully I will be able to find something! Plus, rural EMS would be a dream come true. With all due respect, the city sucks. Looks like the out-of-stater I am has to get my NREMT before I can apply to the State of MN or re-take practicals and written (hint: NOOOOOO!!!). Anyway, thanks much for your help and good luck!!

rugrat

Forum Crew Member
I am not sure how transfers work so hopefully you don't have to redo anything that is never fun!...

As far as rural EMS I know there are places hiring (fulltime I believe too) up by Canada (probably be a really cool are as there a tons of lakes and cool parks... you might get some super cool calls not to mention it is really beautiful.)

Keep in mind if it is near fargo ND.... you may freeze your butt off... well actually most of MN is just too cold... :ph34r: but seriously near Fargo is especially cold because of the wind...

Best of luck to you too