EMT-B in Georgia

kev484

Forum Ride Along
Hey everyone.. I decided to start with emt-b. My question is... Can I get a job with a fire department in georgia as a Basic? or am i wasting my time in the basic class? I have been told yes i can work as a basic as long as I am in a EMT-I class and I have also been told no way.

emt11

Forum Lieutenant
basically, GA does not recognize EMT-B. Some fire departments will hire you at the first responder level, some wont. Let's put it this way. County A will make you get your first responder and your good to go, however County B(the next county over) will make you get EMT-I and thats mandatory. GA requires EMT-I to staff an ambulance aswell. So, to answer your question, depending how far in the fire dept/ems you want to go. Yes your wasting your time. Get into an EMT-I '85 class. The state does not give out I '99(Cardiac Tech) numbers anymore. Plus you have to be an I '85 to get into a medic class.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Either way, you'll have get your EMT-B before you can move onto EMT-I

Sent from my mobile command center

catatonic

Forum Probie
Hey everyone.. I decided to start with emt-b. My question is... Can I get a job with a fire department in georgia as a Basic? or am i wasting my time in the basic class? I have been told yes i can work as a basic as long as I am in a EMT-I class and I have also been told no way.

You would be wasting your time in a basic class in GA. While GA recognizes EMT-B as a certification level, they are a I/85 state.

guttruck

Forum Crew Member
Now this is for Walker County but ALL of the paid firefighter are required to be EMT-B due to they act as first responders. Most departments that I have worked with are the same way. Now in walker county the higher your rank is the more EMT training you need.

DGreno

Forum Probie
When MedStar was still running in Chatham county we had a few EMT-B's but they were not allowed to do much other than drive. EMT-I is the way to go in GA if you actually want to ride EMS. Paramedic is obviously more desireable.
We actually have a First Responder certification, which is different than EMT-B (EMT-B is higher than first responder). The fire dept in the next county wants first responder or I, they dont really recognize Basic as anything more than first responder. From what I have gathered, this is fairly universal.

DGreno

Forum Probie
Also, from what I have been told, after 1 Jan 2012, EMT-I will no longer be taught or recognized in GA. (Current Intermediates will be grandfathered in) The new standard levels will be EMT-B, EMT-A (Advanced) and EMT-P. As I understand it, EMT-A will be similar to the current EMT-I/99.

guttruck

Forum Crew Member
IMO there is going to be no diffrence in an intermediate vs and advanced....just a name change

DGreno

Forum Probie
There is a difference. The current Intermediate in GA is the I85 curriculum. To the best of my understanding, the new Advanced is similar to the I99 curriculum but with more airway, cardiac, and drugs.

emt11

Forum Lieutenant
No problem. Its on the states office of ems website

guttruck

Forum Crew Member
I'm in the top left corner of the state so I'm in a weird place. I'm going to school in TN because the next closes EMT-P class is in Rome.

OP
OP
K

kev484

Forum Ride Along
Now this is for Walker County but ALL of the paid firefighter are required to be EMT-B due to they act as first responders. Most departments that I have worked with are the same way. Now in walker county the higher your rank is the more EMT training you need.
How often do they hire? I plan on going farther with my education in EMT but really want to be a career firefighter.

RealMedic

Forum Probie
Ga ems

It's tough to get on with a FD even with EMS certification unless you also:
1.Have a legacy connection (Ya know someone/relative etc..)
2. Have certain demographics that will give you a hiring advantage ( race, gender, etc)
These two things are the same all over the country where I have worked EMS (to include GA).
A fire/ems service is the way to go in my opinion if you can get on!
Good luck and EMT-B is a nice start but ya gotta keep upgrading your level.
Take care.
RM

1st advancedemtclass

Forum Ride Along
I am enrolled now in EMT ADVANCED in Walker county. It is the new intermediate and it is my understanding that it takes just as long to get the basic cert. Most fire and ambulance services around here are opting for EMT INT. ADV. OR PARAMEDIC anymore.

emt11

Forum Lieutenant
I am enrolled now in EMT ADVANCED in Walker county. It is the new intermediate and it is my understanding that it takes just as long to get the basic cert. Most fire and ambulance services around here are opting for EMT INT. ADV. OR PARAMEDIC anymore.

I can't imagine you being in an EMT-A class, considering the state has not approved any classes and/or any schools to teach the class. The first thing that will come out will probably be for current EMT-I's to upgrade to A, then the full class for EMT-A.