Emt-b/ff

schwing343

Forum Crew Member
I have my emt-b cert and want to get into firefighting, but in the city i live, i guess you have to have your emt-p to take firefighter 1 and 2. Does anyone else have this?

EMTalex

Forum Crew Member
yeah i do! .......well kinda......in San Diego County, to become a FF (now) you need to be a paramedic, or when in dire-need a emt-b, very rare though. However! in my city San Marcos, as well as Escondido, you can be an EMT-B and get employed at a Fire Station, you cant fight the fires but you are on scene and will do patient care/transport :wacko:

OP
OP
schwing343

schwing343

Forum Crew Member
I can see being a firefighter and it being mandatory to having your emt-b cert. but I dont think you should have to be a medic to be a firefighter.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Most career FF positions in the Detroit area require FF/Paramedic. In fact only Detroit and another city will hire FF/EMTs.

Anything that is worthwhile in life requires sacrifice and hard work. Most FF I know become FF for the fire side, but 99% of their calls are EMS. In many areas there is a far larger supply of FF then there are available jobs, so of course they're able to create higher standards. I'm confident you'll be able to find a depatment that accepts FF/EMT, but it may not be the department you originally hoped for.

scorpiolcp

Forum Probie
In the Atlanta area, most fire departments want an EMT-I or paramedic... and if you don't have it going in... you will when you are through with training. In Clayton County, most of the calls are EMS calls; even with the County having transport services within the department, all medics are cross trained as firefighter, and there are even a couple of ALS engines when the crew (paramedic) is available.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I know most of of don't want to see things from the perspective of the administration, but since the ratio of fire calls to EMS calls keeps swinging further into the EMS column, why not get more bang for your buck and require EMT-P of your Firefighters?

This is a competitive field, and there are tons of people waiting in line for the same job you want. I've seen career medics wanting to make a lateral move applying for entry level FF jobs just to get their foot in the door of the department they want to work for.

Good luck! Persistance does pay off in this!