EMT-B courses. How long did it take you?

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
If I remember correctly, my EMT-B course was 3.5 hours two times a week for 6 months, excluding clinicals, labs, and ambulance time.

freebyrd

Forum Crew Member
January thru to May, 5 months - 0930-1800 initially for 3 days a week (mon, weds and fri) then down to 2 days a week (mon and fri) equates to something like 600+ hours classroom then on top we had to do 110 hours ambulance rides and 10 hours ER rotation. And people expect to be at the same standard after an 8 week course? Hmmm....:huh:

600 hrs classtime?! and 110 on the ambo?!

over 700 hrs? wow!
thats the longest i heard of for emt basic, mine was 4 months two days a week from 6 to 10 pm, plus skills and ambo ride alongs

certificate says 130 hrs but for every hour of classtime i would bet there is a good 3 hours of homework and objectives writing

Trauma_Junkie

No rest for the wicked...
My EMT-B course was 6 months in duration with class every Tuesday and Thursday from 1800-2200, and a couple Saturdays. We didn't have clinicals but we did have ride time. The minimum for ride time was 24 hours (I don't recall the number of PT contacts required).

rmabrey

Forum Asst. Chief
16 weeks every Tuesday and Thursday from 0800-1150. 16 hours ER and 12 hours Ambulance. Not enough ride time IMO so I took an optional internship with another 120 hours of ride time.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
My course was 144 hours, spread over three and a half months (the better part of a college semester). We had class twice a week from 6-10pm and a couple of weekend skill days for 4-8 hours. We were required to complete 16 hours in the ED and 24 on the ambulance and complete 5 PCRs. The program also allowed for an 8 hour shift with an ALS engine company, which I was happy to take advantage of.

boombox

Forum Probie
Dayton, OHIO NREMT-B SCHEDULE

Well, i have my 2 cents.

Started on March 28th through June 10th. I attend lecture on mon / weds from 0900 till 1200 (10 hours a week) then a lab session on sat 0900 till 1300 for a total of 15 contact hours a week. Thats a total of 175 college contact hours. 120 of that lecture and 55 lab.

Then is your ride time. 25 hours and 10 pt minimum. 10 hours ER. 10 hours Fire/EMS unit for city. 5 hours with private ambulance company.

END TOTAL AT 200 HOURS!

I already passed all the coarse work (you have to adverage at least 80%), passed all the nation registery skills assesment tests, and have the final at 0900 today. (Class req's at least 80% on final to finish)

Then I just will have the National Registry written left and I am done.

HelpmeHelpyou

Forum Crew Member
Aug. 25th 1700-2200 thru Dec. 9th. Clinical were a joke in my class at GCC. 8 patient contacts was all the was required. Either with a local hospital off their list, or a ride along. I am glad I did ride alongs as I find out that the hospital staff was having the students change bed sheets for their clinicals. So sad.

SnaKiZe

Forum Crew Member
I took mine this past semester, spring 2011. went from like middle of Jan. to May 5th. Tuesday and Thursday, 5-9pm.
We had to do a mandatory 8 hour clinical (in the ER, or doing ride-alongs), as well has log 8 PT contacts.

and now, I'm a NREMT-B who's fresh out of HS :3
Boo-yah.

Last edited by a moderator:

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
My course was 144 hours, spread over three and a half months (the better part of a college semester). We had class twice a week from 6-10pm and a couple of weekend skill days for 4-8 hours. We were required to complete 16 hours in the ED and 24 on the ambulance and complete 5 PCRs. The program also allowed for an 8 hour shift with an ALS engine company, which I was happy to take advantage of.
Sounds a lot like my program, about 15 years ago, only no engine time. At the time, I probably could have taken an EMT refresher course and done a reasonably decent job passing the NREMT-B exam.

Of course, that was after having completed four years of education for Sports Med...

Last edited by a moderator: