EMT-B Certification help?

EMTpatrickbutler

Forum Probie
Hi my name is Patrick Butler, I was just wanting some basic advice on EMT-B certification as I am hopefully going to be going to EMT certification classes in a few weeks. How is the pay in the state of South Carolina? Are the test to end the class hard? What kind of shifts would I be working. Can I, if I get more certification and move up to Paramedic, make a living and support a family from this line of work? EMT is something that I love and am going to do regardless, just wanted a little help! Thanks for all the help!

SnakeDocNC

Forum Ride Along
EMT is a challenge. I am a state above you in NC and have been certified for six years. After you obtain your EMT you can go one to paramedic if you so choose. To make a career out of it getting paramedic is the best way to go but I would work a year or so as an EMT to see if you really want to do it as a career. Shifts differ mostly from either 12 hour to 24 hour. Best advice I can give is study hard and do as many clinical hours on an ambulance as your instructor will allow because you learn a lot in hands on situations and plus you can tell if you can really do the job when you see your first bad trauma. Pay for basics ranges from 8 an hour to 12 an hour here in NC and should be about the same in SC. Remember medics save lives and EMT skills save medics.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Remember medics save lives and EMT skills save medics.

That statement is so far from true it's not even funny. There are plenty of double medic trucks out there that do just fine for themselves.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
I can't believe I don't kill more people without having an EMT to save my back :shock:

OP
OP
E

EMTpatrickbutler

Forum Probie
Thank you guys for the help! I'm new so I thought that no one was going to answer my question if I didn't put the post in the right section on here it wouldn't get answered. Sorry bout that! I appreciate all of the advice, I'm really nervous about this all, I know its what I want to do, just don't know what to expect. I believe it takes a team effort to save everyone's lives involved and that every person that goes into this line of work is someone special! Thanks again everyone!

OP
OP
E

EMTpatrickbutler

Forum Probie
I have another interesting question, to be an ambulance driver in South Carolina, do you have to be EMT-b certified? just curious! Thanks again

firefightergf

Forum Ride Along
Yes in South Carolina you do have to be EMT certified to become a driver. With EMT in SC you will most likely be working 24hrs. just like firefighters. About the pay in SC firefighters actually make more than EMTS i guess the main reason being is that firefighters are always the first responders mostly to a call. I wish you luck in the EMT it is very rewarding to save someones life.