EMT at 16?

Oksana Mallare

Forum Ride Along
Hey all!
I live here in Central PA close to State College. (WE ARE. PENN STATE. LOL)
I'm only 16 but am extremely interested and serious in a medical career.
Emergency Medical Services really peaks my interest and I am very interested in more information.
Are there course? If so, where could I find them? Cost of the courses?
If I am able to become certified, what am I able to do at this age? As in, what are the can's and can not's that I would be able to do in the EMS atmosphere?
Again, I understand the seriousness of the work anyone in the Emergency Medical Services preforms and am willing/excited to get a taste of the experience.
I'm already volunteering at Mount Nittany Medical Center as my graduation project and am certified in CPR/First Aid.
Post high school, I plan on attending Penn State to pursue Pre-Med and, if able, to further my study and go on to their medical school in Hershey. (My goal is to be a surgeon...)
All advice is appreciated and welcome.
Thanks much and looking forward to the replies.
Faith, love, and hope,
Oksana

MedicDelta

Forum Crew Member
I'm 17 and I took my Emergency Medical Responder(I'm from Canada, it's basically the EMT-B level) course at 16. I highly doubt you'll actually be able to find work in EMS at 16 but you could maybe take a course. I know there are some colleges in the U.S. that offer EMT-B for high school students. I'd just search "EMT course" and write where you live and see what pops ups and check the requirements.

OP
OP
Oksana Mallare

Oksana Mallare

Forum Ride Along
Thanks! I'm not really looking for a job right now in that field, as I do not expect to find anything (esp for my age) but its really the experience I'm looking for. I already hold a nice job as a secretary/receptionist (I'm a good people person, LOL) and I am using any extra time that isn't devoted to my AP and honor class studying/homework to volunteering at things such as this. :)

MedicDelta

Forum Crew Member
If you want experience you could ask for a ride along at your local EMS station. If there are any volunteer first aid services in your area you could check that as well.

A friend of mine who also lives in PA became an Emergency Medical Responder (EMR) at the age of 16. He now works part time on an ambulance while going to EMT school.

OnceAnEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
Do some searching, this topic has come up quite a bit lately and has received extensive replies. That is, for minors attending EMT school and good ol' "pre med".

OnceAnEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
Do some searching, this topic has come up quite a bit lately and has received extensive replies. That is, for minors attending EMT school and good ol' "pre med".

Late edit:

Here, helped you out.

Age - http://emtlife.com/threads/what-can-i-do-now.39387/#post-544998

Premed -
http://emtlife.com/threads/youngin-needs-more-advice.39627/#post-548659 (scroll fo my opinion on starting education in EMS)

http://emtlife.com/threads/patient-...-911-service-emt-for-a-college-student.39720/

Now if you have further questions not specific to programs in PA, I am happy to elaborate! :)

OP
OP
Oksana Mallare

Oksana Mallare

Forum Ride Along
Thanks so much! This is very helpful. I am super excited to start something in this field. What have your experiences been like?

Smitty213

Contributor of Tidbits
Starting young is a great way to get "in" before life takes off after high school lol, I certainly don't regret it. Also, look into joining a local volunteer fire or rescue service BEFORE signing up for a class, if PA is like NY the training becomes free after you join.

OP
OP
Oksana Mallare

Oksana Mallare

Forum Ride Along
I figured that it might be. I called a few local places and as I expected the course is pretty pricey but I will start to look that up! I'd love to volunteer even if I'm not an EMT... yet. :)

Smitty213

Contributor of Tidbits
Good luck! Most volunteer services would be thrilled to have somebody young and enthusiastic, times are tough for a lot of them unfortunately

OP
OP
Oksana Mallare

Oksana Mallare

Forum Ride Along
Thank you! And yeah, ikr? Theres only me and my friend (and I guess my wannabe cousin, whom I don't really like) who want to go into some sort of med. field. I'm so excited to just get out of high school

Nightmare

The FNG
Becoming an EMT while i was younger is something I wish i had done (I became one when i was 20, now 22) i wouldn't have wasted time with college then...however if you hope to move on beyond a basic (which i hope you do) you will need some college, so just keep that in mind.

proseqtr

Forum Ride Along
One thing I can tell you that you can do now is please learn what different first aid items are and how and when they are used. There was a guy when I was in EMT school who seemed to think "put an ACE bandage on it" was the answer to any type of trauma wound. Don't be that guy. Learn your different types of wraps and gauze products and other first aid items. All you have to do is just get yourself one of those home/office/auto first aid kits and take everything out of it sort it out and read the names on the items. Then figure out what they are all used for and how to properly use them. Lots of EMT programs don't even teach you that stuff anymore. Too many of them teach you how to pass a test and not actually how to be an EMT. Brush up on your first aid skills and know what things are.

JosephDurham

Forum Crew Member
Just remember that due to your age you would not, at least here in Ohio, be able to sit for the NREMT.

As to the price of a course it varies depending upon the college and what their fees are. My EMT course was $1440 when I took mine, and the NREMT was an additional $70.

Hope everything works out for you.

Joseph

One Confused EMT

Forum Probie
Just remember that due to your age you would not, at least here in Ohio, be able to sit for the NREMT.

As to the price of a course it varies depending upon the college and what their fees are. My EMT course was $1440 when I took mine, and the NREMT was an additional $70.

Hope everything works out for you.

Joseph

Wow $1440? that seems very expensive. I think I spent like maybe $200

JosephDurham

Forum Crew Member
No kidding? Wow. Yeah i went through college obviously an the total was $1440. Ifmindidnt have health insurance they would have tacked on an additional $900. It's unreal how expensive school is anymore.

Joseph

Amelia

You're stuck w/ me now (insert evil laughter here)
Our EMS class was $850 and NREMT is $70. Im not sure about the age limit on taking the test, but our ambulance system's minimum age is 21 although the volunteer systems would probably love to have you.

JosephDurham

Forum Crew Member
And unfortunately one is only allotted 90 days to take the test the first time. So if he were to take the class at 16 it would, unfortunately, be a waste. Unless he was just wanting the knowledge.

J