EMSA Oklahoma City

SWMOEMT

Forum Ride Along
I have a few questions for current EMSA employees. I posted a thread in the training forum and didn't receive any reply's but have since talked with a recruiter and had some of my questions answered. I am considering working as a basic for EMSA while in paramedic school and was wondering how competitive it is to get into there paid in house program. I would like to start paramedic school within the next year if possible. The recruiter I spoke with said that if i wanted to attend a outside school that they bid shifts every 3-4 months based on seniority and i could schedule shifts around classes so would paramedic students be given priority over senior staff during shift bids or would i be out of luck if i attended a outside program ?

Mellowdnb

Forum Probie
Howdy stranger

You should talk to some of the Paramedic schools around OKC. Try to find a program that gives the students more clinical experiences. The more time you have to spend in the ED & OR, the better chances you will have to perform the necessary skills. More clinical experiences will build your self confidence. BTW, most medical school students felt comfortable with intubation after the 100th intubation. Avoid, if you can, a program that gives little or no experience in the OR. Do not let people fool you into thinking airway dummies are just as good as intubating on a human.

Start asking former students "What DIDN'T you like about the program?" "Did the instructors have an interest or did it appear that the instructors are there for a paycheck?"

Keep in mind, most Paramedic schools don't really teach to national standards. You'll be tested on procedures & medicine based on the EMS system the school is associated with. This can be a setback if you are trying to go to another system, once you are done with school.

Keep working towards your goal of becoming a Paramedic. If I can do it, so can you.

AceThunderstone

Forum Probie
The EMSA program is affiliated with Redlands Community College in El Reno, OK. Currently, the Eastern division in Tulsa is also sending students to Tulsa Community College as they just started a program as well. To be accepted into the program requires 6 months experience as an EMT at EMSA. You'll also be graded based on resume, previous education, entrance exam, interview, and supervisor reviews. That being said, though it was once a fairly competitive process, we're running short on quality EMTs and the current applicants aren't a stellar looking bunch. Getting in would be very easy right now.

The teacher for the program in Tulsa is very talented and, in my opinion, the absolute best option for paramedic programs in the region. He teaches well beyond EMSA standards and is devoted to developing competent paramedics. Can't speak for the City's teacher. Unless it changes, while in the program you are in school 3 days a week from 8a-5p and you work 2 12-hour street shift as an EMT on the weekends. Once the school portion ends, you are taken off the streets and solely do your clinicals. You are paid for all hours you are in class. The only paramedic students who have specific shifts blocked off for them are those being put through school by AMR. You could possibly go to school on your own while working full time but it will suck, and even though EMTs fly through the ranks in seniority, there's no guarantee you'll get a shift that works with school.

The price for this is high. You have to sign a contract to work for AMR for three years after clearing as a paramedic. And working at EMSA is not particularly fun right now. Tulsa is leaps and bounds better than OKC but even up here we're getting weary of the high call volume with no fixes being attempted by AMR. Not that they can afford to do anything to fix it anyway seeing as they seriously underbid the contract and the outfit is not making money. Morale is at an all-time low to say the least.

My suggestion: Don't do it. AMR is awful to work for. The quality of the education is fine but the working conditions are not. There are plenty of places in Oklahoma that pay for their EMTs to go through paramedic school. There is a shortage of paramedics here after all. Cherokee nation EMS has their own program now and they're great to work for. Creek County EMS gives scholarships for school. And these are just the ones I know off the top of my head. EMSA advertises better but there is no shortage of opportunities to get school paid for. Be smart about it.

AceThunderstone

Forum Probie
Yes. I don't know the exact cost or how it scales with time worked but here is the contract in full.

AMERICAN MEDICAL RESPONSE
MUTUAL AGREEMENT
PARAMEDIC SCHOLARSHIP IN-HOUSE PROGRAM

As an employee of American Medical Response (AMR), I understand that the scholarship program provides for the actual cost of the education, books and other supplies provided by AMR, I agree to the following terms as outlined below.

• Furthermore I understand that AMR will place me on a special school schedule and special shift bid process, which allows me to work specified hours on an ambulance, as well as specified hours in the classroom. I will maintain the assigned work schedule and attendance, and in so doing, will have the same number of scheduled work hours per week (combining ambulance and classroom assignments) as a standard full time employee. I will receive 24 regularly scheduled hours on an assigned ambulance shift, and I will receive 24 hours for school-related duties.

• I agree to obtain my National Registry Paramedic certification within three (3) months of graduation.

• I agree to work full time as an EMT with AMR during the entire educational process.

• I agree to work as a full-time EMSA Paramedic for three (3) consecutive years immediately

following completion of education and other requirements.

• I agree that if my employment is terminated by me or by AMR for any reason, prior to fulfilling the commitment of three (3) years full-time work as a Paramedic for AMR, I will be held financially responsible for the entire cost of the scholarship, as well as the entire cost to AMR for the hours of work allowed in the classroom. In the event that my employment is terminated by me or by AMR prior to completion of 36 consecutive months’ employment as a full time Paramedic for AMR, I agree to repay to AMR any and all costs paid by AMR for my Paramedic education.

• I agree to withdraw from the course if my employment is terminated by me or by AMR.

• I understand the repayment of the entire program costs including compensation for time spent in training will be incurred by me under any of the following conditions:
    1. Failure to maintain full time status as a Paramedic.

2. Failure to successfully complete the Paramedic education program

3. Failure to obtain the National Registry Paramedic Certification within three (3) months of graduation from Paramedic school.

4. Failure to complete the EMSA Medical Control Board certification process

5. Failure to complete the Paramedic education program on a timely basis.

If repayment of the program costs incurs because of any of the five (5) conditions mentioned above, or because of the termination of my employment by me or by AMR prior to the end date of three (3) consecutive years of employment, I expressly agree that repayment will be accomplished through relinquishing available paid time Off (PTO) and through offsets against any pay that is due to me, any compensation due to me of any kind and/or any reimbursement that is due to me. I expressly agree that AMR may offset any amounts due to me for this purpose. If there is a balance remaining after relinquishment of PTO and/or offsets of pay, compensation or amounts due to me, I expressly agree to repay AMR for the balance. This repayment will be made by personal check and/or credit card.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Meanwhile, I left that train wreck and took a promotion and a pay raise....