Premium Member
Last edited by a moderator:

BrushBunny91

Forum Lieutenant
What a frightening call to respond to.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Good article

With the nature of injuries, they needed MORE TOURNIQUETS.
They conducted training and more training, they had extra ambulances ready, and off-duty folks saw news crawlers on TV as well as normal recall.

NVRob, what was your experience?

OP
OP
H

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I wasn't working that day and didn't make the all-call due to where I was when it went out.

I sat in on part of a debriefing during my lunch break during class, the tourniquet issue has been dealt with and it seems to have been the biggest problem. FD, PD and EMS had great communication and did an awesome job of setting up a route of egress for outgoing units. We use the SWAT-T so it's kind of a pain to apply if your gloves are wet but it did the job and is easy to stock so we have a ton of them in the Special Events trailer and on the rigs now.

My friend was up there and to this day he still doesn't like talking about it, it was that bad. They have really gone out of their way to accommodate the needs of responders that were there that day.

***My views/position are my own and do not reflect the views/postition of my employer***

AK_SAR

Forum Crew Member
.....FD, PD and EMS had great communication and did an awesome job ......My friend was up there and to this day he still doesn't like talking about it, it was that bad. They have really gone out of their way to accommodate the needs of responders that were there that day.
Very interesting article. Thanks for posting. Pre-planning and training between separate groups and agencies really makes a difference when something big and out of the ordinary happens. Even though the actual event never goes down exactly as you planned for, just knowing a few of the faces (as well as capabilities) of other responding agencies goes a long way to making things run smoother. In my area, every winter we have a big joint SAR exercise involving State Troopers, various volunteer SAR teams, local EMS, State Parks, USFS etc. Doing those exercises has paid off hugely every time there is a bigger than usual real SAR event.

Also very glad they were pro-active in helping the folks who were there deal with the experience. It must have been horrendous.