EMS Worker hit on freeway

Ansible

Forum Ride Along
While I know this happens more than we'd like to admit, I still feel this is both sad and ridiculous. I certainly hope there are strong reprisles for this incident.

My Thoughts go to Mr. Kotulak and his family.

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
And this is why we have fire respond to medical calls on the highway. They park their big red truck behind us and as long as everyone stays in front of the fire truck, you are safe from stupid motorists.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
We were driving back to the station yesterday after a call and heard of an auto/deer on the road just ahead, no injuries. As we were driving by, the driver waved us down. No one hurt, but we still blocked for the 15 minutes it took for a trooper to get there...

Despite a big medium duty ambulance with flashing lights on, cars STILL blew by going 70-80... and even truckers didn't slow down. (Mind you this is a 2 lane highway)

Thankful

Forum Ride Along
The thing is he had parked his ambulance across the highway with lights on. The van went around the ambulance and hit the car that was in the original spin out. The car was what hit Mike.

MiniEMTP

Forum Ride Along
The thing is he had parked his ambulance across the highway with lights on. The van went around the ambulance and hit the car that was in the original spin out. The car was what hit Mike.

Another thing, it' wasn't detroit EMS either, it was community. Private company. >.<.

The worst part about this whole thing is, is that idiot took off! I wonder if she realizes she would be facing WAY less charges had she actually stayed. They have laws that really throw the book at morons like this when they hurt public safety personnel. I hope she gets it. <_<

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Another thing, it' wasn't detroit EMS either, it was community. Private company. >.<.

The worst part about this whole thing is, is that idiot took off! I wonder if she realizes she would be facing WAY less charges had she actually stayed. They have laws that really throw the book at morons like this when they hurt public safety personnel. I hope she gets it. <_<
I hope the medic is OK... and I really hope the striking driver is found and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

MiniEMTP

Forum Ride Along
I hope the medic is OK... and I really hope the striking driver is found and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

he's messed up no doubt about it, Broken jaw bones, an orbital bone, 6 broken ribs 2 broken legs and a broken thumb. not that the thumb matters, but he's either done for good or out of commission for awhile.