EMS peer reviewed journals

VirginiaEMT

Forum Lieutenant
I need your assistance. I am writing a paper on Tiered EMS systems and I need to use 5 peer-reviewed articles to write it. I am at a loss because I have no idea where to even begin.

I am not looking to cheat by any means but could use some input on where I should look for these articles. How to quote them and make sure the author gets credit, etc.

I find some info online at Pub-Med but I have NO IDEA where to even begin. Could you please offer some assistance to help me get started?

Veneficus

Forum Chief
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Peer reviewed EMS papers?

We like backboards.

High flow oxygen for everyone.

Evidence based medicine means nothing to EMS.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
What citation format are you required to use? Why isn't your school librarian helping?

If they just left it up to you, I suggest you use APA for the citations, and use the databases in your school library to search for the journals. Failing that, try google scholar to get a heads up on finding peer reviewed papers.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I can't even name 1 peer reviewed EMS publication.

Even if I could, "peer review" doesn't mean much from a trade group with less education than a barber.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I don't think he means peer reviewed articles written BY EMS. He'd have more luck finding peer reviewed articles referencing EMS issues.

For example, a quich search would allow me to cite 15 peer reviewed papers about EMS intubation, thanks to Drs Wang and Gauche.

Simple search using the phrase "tiered EMS response"

http://informahealthcare.com/doi/abs/10.1080/10903120600885134

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S019606449870037X

http://informahealthcare.com/doi/abs/10.1080/10903129808958833

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/114/1/157.short

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S030095720800556X

Last edited by a moderator:

OzAmbo

Forum Crew Member
http://www.jephc.com/

Welcome to the Journal of Emergency Primary Health Care, a peer-reviewed, international journal to advance and promote the science and the art of prehospital care research, education, clinical practice, policy and service delivery, and to provide a forum to respond to the professional interests of the multidisciplinary emergency primary health care community.

Christopher

Forum Deputy Chief
I need your assistance. I am writing a paper on Tiered EMS systems and I need to use 5 peer-reviewed articles to write it. I am at a loss because I have no idea where to even begin.

I am not looking to cheat by any means but could use some input on where I should look for these articles. How to quote them and make sure the author gets credit, etc.

I find some info online at Pub-Med but I have NO IDEA where to even begin. Could you please offer some assistance to help me get started?

You should look into access to Prehospital Emergency Care, Prehospital and Disaster Medicine, Am J Emerg Med, Resuscitation, Ann Emerg Med, etc.

All of those journals will have articles pertaining to EMS, but likely only the first two will have operational articles. That being said, I've found articles on L&S versus routine transports in Am J Emerg Med so your mile may vary.

OP
OP
VirginiaEMT

VirginiaEMT

Forum Lieutenant
What citation format are you required to use? Why isn't your school librarian helping?

If they just left it up to you, I suggest you use APA for the citations, and use the databases in your school library to search for the journals. Failing that, try google scholar to get a heads up on finding peer reviewed papers.

My instructions say that Citations must be in APA style

Veneficus

Forum Chief

Looks good except for the 3000 word count requirement for original research.

The last "small" research publication I was part of has a body of 2382 words, with well over 3K once charts, citations, and credits are entered. (3305) to be exact.

Last edited by a moderator:

KellyBracket

Forum Captain
... could use some input on where I should look for these articles.

Some "getting started" advice from a lazy researcher.

In your case, I Googled "two-tiered EMS systems." Looked interesting, but to get the more academic stuff, I added "NCBI" to the search terms. NCBI is the big "medical library," and mostly lists articles from peer-reviewed. Some exceptions (you can find articles from JEMS there sometimes!).

Got these results.

Nice. The first result is a nice overview of the issue. The second is a great literature review by a group that does some good EMS research up in Canada. The last is by the same group. somewhat different emphasis.

When you see an interesting article in NCBI, click on the "see all" tab on the right to see similar articles. You can also sometimes find free papers on NCBI, or trying googling around with the paper's title and "PDF" as search terms.

That should get you started! A good topic, and a modest amount of literature about it.

OP
OP
VirginiaEMT

VirginiaEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Thank you. That information is a big help. It is hard to started again when you're 48 years old and haven't written a paper in almost 30 years. :rofl:

Some "getting started" advice from a lazy researcher.

In your case, I Googled "two-tiered EMS systems." Looked interesting, but to get the more academic stuff, I added "NCBI" to the search terms. NCBI is the big "medical library," and mostly lists articles from peer-reviewed. Some exceptions (you can find articles from JEMS there sometimes!).

Got these results.

Nice. The first result is a nice overview of the issue. The second is a great literature review by a group that does some good EMS research up in Canada. The last is by the same group. somewhat different emphasis.

When you see an interesting article in NCBI, click on the "see all" tab on the right to see similar articles. You can also sometimes find free papers on NCBI, or trying googling around with the paper's title and "PDF" as search terms.

That should get you started! A good topic, and a modest amount of literature about it.

OP
OP
VirginiaEMT

VirginiaEMT

Forum Lieutenant
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Peer reviewed EMS papers?

We like backboards.

High flow oxygen for everyone.

Evidence based medicine means nothing to EMS.

I'm finding that out in my research. Many of the things we do have no evidence to support their use. I am amazed.

My next paper is going to be on intubating in cardiac arrest and it's affects on the outcomes of patients.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.